More Tire Questions

Reyan

I know this tire issue has been discussed but I still don't see the answer I am looking for.

Everyone has agreed that changing from RFT to normal tires provides a huge difference. What I want to know, is what tires would be best for comfort and quietness. I don't care about speed, just comfort. I realize that nobody will have tried all different tires....but I've been going over the information on Tire Rack and still can't find the best tire for smooth ride and quietness...the best one. Most of the reviews are geared toward speed and performance.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

I just bought MICHELIN PS SPORT tires and am very, very impressed. The ride is so much smoother and better than the run flats. I wish I had traded sooner! I think you would love them - very quiet and comfy too!

I purchased Bridgestone Potenza RE-960 4000 miles ago. Absoletly love them. Purchased from Discount Tires.

I purchased the same time - replacing the run-flats - and also am VERY pleased with the improved ride. However, the tire dealer says he cannot reset the air pressure sensors , so the light on the dash is always on. He told me only a Lexus dealer can reset them. Is he giving a me a line of crap?

I just replace dmy run flats with MICHELIN PS and am very pleased. My dash light was on, and the LEXUS dealer told me it would be 300 bucks to fix it! Forget it! I can live with the dash light being on until I figure another solution cheaper than spending 300 bucks!

• 14 years later...

2010 SC430...

Hello SC430 enthusiasts,

Has there been a concensus as to whether or not there is a such thing as a smoother, more comfortable RF than the OEM Dunlop sport 5000 DSST? If not, then of the tires mentioned previously, Michelin pilot A/S, Bridgestone Potenza RE-960, and the Pole position, what tire will?   

I'm still looking at Run Flats like Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 ZP, A/S 3 Plus, and Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR, if in fact they may be a better RF than the Dunlop. 

As per Consumer Reports, you won't find an ultra-high performance all-season or summer tire with better than average ride quality.

Of the performance all-season tires, there are quite a few, starting with the Michelin CrossClimate2. It also has a better than average noise rating. Keep in mind that I do not know if any are available in your car's size.

Others with better than average ride quality) are (in order of overall score):
Nexen N5000 Platinum
Yokohama Avid Ascend LX
Nokian WRG4 (all-weather)

Been through multiple sets of RFT - bit the bullet and removed them and went with Continental DWS06 - BEST MOVE I EVER MADE. Also, had the car aligned and took the NEGATIVE CAMBER OUT OF THE REAR SUSPENSION WHEN I HAD IT ALIGNED so the tire sits flat now. ALL AND I MEAN ALL THE INNER TIRE WEAR IS ALL GONE.

BEST TIRE IN MY OPINION FOR MY SC430

• 5 months later...
On 1/4/2023 at 7:22 PM, RX400h said:

As per Consumer Reports, you won't find an ultra-high performance all-season or summer tire with better than average ride quality.

Of the performance all-season tires, there are quite a few, starting with the Michelin CrossClimate2. It also has a better than average noise rating. Keep in mind that I do not know if any are available in your car's size.

Others with better than average ride quality) are (in order of overall score):
Nexen N5000 Platinum
Yokohama Avid Ascend LX
Nokian WRG4 (all-weather)

About to purchase a 2002 with 68k miles.  Used car shop owner replaced dry rotted tires with Nexen N5000 Platinums, saying he has had good luck with them in the past. Seemed to ride fine in our test drives.  Will know more after I get the car.