Can I Blow My Car Up Yet? Tranny Problems On My 400

:censored: I am so frustrated with this car! If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a 99 Gs 400, it looks great but is running worse and worse. I have had it for 2 years and it has 125,000 miles. The engine is strong, its the tranny thats worring me....

See the check engine light randomly turns on and the code reads p0763"shift solenoid C- Circut Electrical"

When the code appeares the car shifts hard mostly into second and third gear and the manual mode doesn't work, it flashes the M on the dash but won't let me control the gears. If the light is off, it shifts like a charm.

The Dealer refused to fix it unless I payed them $4 grand for a new tranny. So I took it to a mechanic and payed $700 to replace "shift solenoid C", power flush the tranny and put new fluid. The mechanic said the tranny looked great and that there were no metal shavings in the pan. After that, It ran ok for about a week and then the same thing started happening again, same code pops up. There are days i don't see that check engine light and others that it won't go away.

Somebody please help me! :cries:

You don't need a new tranny. The very samething happened to my car. I had my mechanic (Not lexus) replace my third gear solenoid for $500. Solved the problem and running like new.

Thank you. The weird thing about it is the computer read shift solenoid c, so the mechanic replaced it. Now the code for the engine light is saying the same solenoid again. Its so frustrating. I'm thinking maybe I just have to replace all of them.

You don't need a new tranny. The very samething happened to my car. I had my mechanic (Not lexus) replace my third gear solenoid for $500. Solved the problem and running like new.

Thank you. The weird thing about it is the computer read shift solenoid c, so the mechanic replaced it. Now the code for the engine light is saying the same solenoid again. Its so frustrating. I'm thinking maybe I just have to replace all of them.

How have you been servicing the transmission so far? This is very unusual for the AISIN Transmission. It is bullet-proof in stock applications. I have 160,00 miles on my stock transmission. It has been serviced with AMSOIL Universal Transmission fluid since 60,000 miles, plus it has a back-up HAYDEN transmssion cooler. The fluid never gets dangerously hot, even in desert conditions. The fluid is always red and sm,ells clean and fresh, even after 50,000 mile intervals.

If you MUST run the Toyota Type T-IV fluid, it should be changed every 30,000 miles religiously for best service. That fluid turns dark very quickly otherwise.

I am not saying that dirty fluid caused your problem, but so many of us have NO problems with our transmission for years and years.

Things DO happen sometimes, so service that transmission regularly.

How have you been servicing the transmission so far? This is very unusual for the AISIN Transmission. It is bullet-proof in stock applications. I have 160,00 miles on my stock transmission. It has been serviced with AMSOIL Universal Transmission fluid since 60,000 miles, plus it has a back-up HAYDEN transmssion cooler. The fluid never gets dangerously hot, even in desert conditions. The fluid is always red and sm,ells clean and fresh, even after 50,000 mile intervals.

If you MUST run the Toyota Type T-IV fluid, it should be changed every 30,000 miles religiously for best service. That fluid turns dark very quickly otherwise.

What do you mean "If you MUST" run the Toyota fluid? Are you implying it is somehow suspect, or beneath your quality standards? Why is it that Amsoil users are so zealous and denigrate all other lubrication products so quickly? Have you ever seen inside an automatic transmission, or better yet, rebuilt one yourself?

• 5 months later...

I have the same error (p0763) with an input/output sensor error. It's at the mechanic right now and he says there are metal shavings in the tranny pan. 80% he says likely the CEL will go off and run like new after he replaces the shift solenoid. The 20% is what scares me that could be the transmission.

What do you mean "If you MUST" run the Toyota fluid? Are you implying it is somehow suspect, or beneath your quality standards? Why is it that Amsoil users are so zealous and denigrate all other lubrication products so quickly? Have you ever seen inside an automatic transmission, or better yet, rebuilt one yourself?

I say most users are stuck on the toyo spec stuff. Toyo will work along with others. I have tried others and Amsoil ATF is so far the best out there, that I have tried. Some Amsoil users "denigrate" others since some like me TEST the fluid and see the results. For me, I will buy Amsoil for less $$$ then toyo and provide more bang for the dollar. But buy whatever makes you get a "hard one" to be integral with a certain mod here.

I say most users are stuck on the toyo spec stuff. Toyo will work along with others. I have tried others and Amsoil ATF is so far the best out there, that I have tried. Some Amsoil users "denigrate" others since some like me TEST the fluid and see the results. For me, I will buy Amsoil for less $$$ then toyo and provide more bang for the dollar. But buy whatever makes you get a "hard one" to be integral with a certain mod here.

Well that's real nice of you to admit that Toyota fluid will work in a Toyota transmission. I'm sure the factory will be glad to hear of your conclusion. Perhaps you could also relate your test data, as I'm sure they'll like that too. What results did you "see"?

Amsoil zealot number 53.