60k Service- What Can I Expect To Spend?

Lainey

Hi all,

My 2002 SC430 has 57K miles and I'm getting ready for the next service - I hear that it is going to be a "big one". Can anyone fill me in on what is going to be done? I ask the dealer and they are always very quick when they describe all the work. What will it all cost? Is there a way around it? (like going somewhere else other than the dealer?)

Thanks,

Lainey

• 1 year later...

Hi Lainey

Just got my Sc back from the dealer with the 60,000 service bill. Had new brakes front and rear,throttle body cleaned, fluids changed ,brake,power steering ,trans and rear diff. Timing belt water pump and pulleys and the grand total was 3560.57. I know its alot but you won't have another like that for at least 60,000 miles .

good luck

Glen

Are there any good independent Lexus repair shops where you live? The indie shop I use is owned by a former Lexus dealer service writer and staffed by former Lexus dealer mechanics.

I know my 2000 LS400 is a different animal than your 2002 SC430, but I doubt if the maintenance costs should be all that different since they have similar drive trains.

In summer 2005, the 60,000 mile service on my 2000 LS400 cost $400 including sales tax. In summer 2007, the 90,000 mile service cost $1417 including sales tax. The 90,000 service was essentially the same as the 60,000 mile service except it included replacement of the water pump and timing belt and a number of related pulleys and parts -- the independent shop I use doesn't cut corners and uses only OEM parts.

Since your SC is at 6 years, you might want to replace the timing belt assuming that the recommended replacement interval is 6 years/90,000 miles like on my car.

If you choose to use a Lexus dealer, unless you like to make donations to your Lexus dealer's sailboat fund, make sure he follows the service schedule in your maintenance manual rather that the fantasy schedule that many Lexus dealers push to pad profits. For example, the spark plug replacement interval on my car is 120,000 miles but many Lexus dealers will try to tell you it is 60K or 90K miles.

It is not necessary to replace brake pads and rotors prematurely. Rear brakes pads usually last far longer than front brake pads -- the original rear brake pads on my LS have 106,000 miles on them and I'm guessing they will last at least 125,000 miles. The front pads on my current 00 LS were replaced for the first time at 71,293 miles and I think the front pads lasted about the same miles on my previous LS. A message will be displayed on the information display in your dash when brake pad replacement is needed. Rotors rarely require replacement and can usually be resurfaced at lower cost and work just as well as new ones.

My main recommendations are to read your maintenance manual and find a good independent Lexus repair shop. One way to find a good shop is to ask other Lexus owning friends and even to ask Lexus owners you run into while pumping gas and in shopping center parking lots -- that's how I found the indie repair shops I have used.