Sirius Radio For 2001 Ls 430

mi11er

I just had a bad experience at a national Electronics Retailer purchasing a Sirius Radio. Turned out after tearing up my dash they said I needed a custom antennae and booster with no guarantee of it working. Does anyone have any experience with installing a satelite provider in a LS 430 2001?

Thanks in advance.

I may not be a lot of help directly, but clearly the shop you used was clearly not competent. There are several methods to connect either XM or Sirius radios. Lexus makes a Sirius kit for the 2004 (and probably through 2006) LS 430, but that may not help you. Installation manual attached.LS430_Sirius_Radio_Installation.pdf

There are a lot of installation options using material (generally on the accessories list) from:

http://www.myradiostore.com/

I'm sure that Sirius (as well as XM) want you to use something called "SureConnect" that comes with the newer radios. The method is designed to be cheap and universal, to make that work on a glass antenna (which I assume the 2001 has) is a bit cumbersome, with parrelel lines essentially taped to the rear window to transfer a local FM signal from the Sirius unit to the radio in the car. With other types of antenna, it is almost as bad. With a fixed mast, you can clamp a coil over the antenna root to transfer the signal. Where the supplied technology won't work is with a retractable antenna. What you probably want is something like the "FM Direct" adapter from the folks above, they may also have something specifically for Sirius. They also include a list of other bits and pieces required to make the system work in specific cars when looking at there options.

I just had a bad experience at a national Electronics Retailer purchasing a Sirius Radio. Turned out after tearing up my dash they said I needed a custom antennae and booster with no guarantee of it working. Does anyone have any experience with installing a satelite provider in a LS 430 2001?

Thanks in advance.

I would try these guys.

http://www.vaistech.com/

I have their unit in my LS430 for an iPod and it works great. the OEM system is installed in the rear of the car (which you may be able to do with the Vaistech unit if the connections are there) and usually they put the antenna either on the trunklid or below the rear parcel shelf (where the GPS antenna is). It can also be put inside the CHMSL housing. The dealer may be able to do it; I installed the ipod unit myself in about an hour. There are several tuturials for taking apart the dash around here.

Good luck.