2000 Lexus Es Trouble Staying On

lexnewb

I have a question about my wife's 2000 lexus es300, any input will be appreciated on what can be causing the trouble. My wife told me yesterday that she has had trouble twice in the last week trying to turn on the car. When she turns on the ignition it starts then kind of sputters and dies out. She can keep it on longer by pressing down on the gas and holding it down-idling the car higher. It happened early in the week where it did it for a few minutes-finally turned on and worked fine for 3 days. Then again it did it for about 10 minutes & now is working fine again. There are no check engine or trouble lights on the dashboard so I cannot check w/ an obd device. Is it a bad fuel filter? Again any input is welcomed, Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Idle control valve is sticking. It is under the rubber intake tube where it meets the throttle body. It is repairable!

Thanks ........ I'll give it a try !!!!!

I located the idle control valve, but instead of dismantling the throttle body and then the idle valve I just squirted the opening of the valve with throttle body cleaner and blew it out with compressed air.

I did this a few times and then squirted in some WD-40.

After putting back the intake hoses and air cleaner, the car started up a little rough, but once the WD-40 cleared out of the system the car runs great.

No more idle problems !!!!!! :rolleyes: