Tranny Kicked Out Of Reverse, Then Back In With A Bang

viperbluelx

My wife's 03 RX300 did something strange yesterday. I was backing up the driveway in reverse and I hear BANG like I'd hit something and the car started to roll forward then BANG again and it's right back into reverse and backing up like nothing was wrong. My wife said it's done that before with her. She said it only did it backing up the driveway and it's never done it on level ground. All the forward gears are fine. Fluid was just drained and filled with Valvoline Maxlife ATF(Toyota IV approved) about a month ago when we bought it. Any ideas?

My wife's 03 RX300 did something strange yesterday. I was backing up the driveway in reverse and I hear BANG like I'd hit something and the car started to roll forward then BANG again and it's right back into reverse and backing up like nothing was wrong. My wife said it's done that before with her. She said it only did it backing up the driveway and it's never done it on level ground. All the forward gears are fine. Fluid was just drained and filled with Valvoline Maxlife ATF(Toyota IV approved) about a month ago when we bought it. Any ideas?

Check the electrical connections, connector, into the tranny.....

The '01 to '03 RX300 is prone to BURNED ATF so the fluid may have been drained to "hide" the symptoms of a failing transaxle.

The '01 to '03 RX300 is prone to BURNED ATF so the fluid may have been drained to "hide" the symptoms of a failing transaxle.

Actually I changed the fluid myself after I bought it. I'll check the electrical connections. What gets me is it only does it up hill.

• 2 months later...

Actually I changed the fluid myself after I bought it. I'll check the electrical connections. What gets me is it only does it up hill.

have you found out what your problem was??? i have a problem similar with my 00rx300 that it slips in reverse but does not get back into reverse i have to let it ide backwards and only on level ground.

Your wife had a major tranny episode and didn't tell you about it? :chairshot: I would talk with a reputable transmission shop to see if this is indicative of something more serious. Since I believe that auto trans are mostly magic, with lots of smoke and mirrors, this tends to be the one area where my cars see a specialized shop.

have you found out what your problem was??? i have a problem similar with my 00rx300 that it slips in reverse but does not get back into reverse i have to let it ide backwards and only on level ground.

i also have to let my 00rx300 to idle back, it will kick in and out feeling like its in nuetral, i'm looking in to the counter gear sensor or one of the 3 sensors on the transmission, i also have been told something to due with the throttle position sensor but not likely something i would say it is. i have also been told that the low gear clutch plate is slipping due to wear and tear. but i'm hoping on a sensor... something a dealership won't talk about. they just want to replace the whole trainy with new sensors on it......think about it, it could be just a 100 dollar part......

I had the same problem happened to my 2000 RX300. It could not get into reverse gear but forward OK. I changed transmission fluid and filter. Then, the car could not get into over drive: when it reached 50 miles, the engine speed reached 4500 to 5000. A code P0325-knock sensor 1 was produced also. At last, I changed two knock sensors and the problem is gone. The car runs fine now.

check your sensors!!!! i took out my two transmission sensors. checked them out tested them and then put the counter gear speed sensor where the turbine input sensor was got everything back together and everything works fine......... no slipping in any gear. very happy. i may need new sensor which will run $75 a piece.....

"counter gear speed sensor where the turbine input sensor" ?

Could you clarify the sensor and location please? Cheers matey......

Best regards David

Ok forget that, found them on the wiring diag...interesting info

the two sensors are located underneath the air box on top of the transaxle right near the battery and the bell housing. i called the dealership and they haven't even heard of it... i explained what happen and they still are suggesting a new trainy what penny pinchers. i fixed the problem but was just lookin for new sensors..

i called the dealership and they haven't even heard of it... i explained what happen and they still are suggesting a new trainy

Hmm...why does that not suprise me? We don't call'em Mainstealers for nothing! :lol:

Well done matey...sounds like this time YOU won.....

Best regards David

• 4 weeks later...
"counter gear speed sensor where the turbine input sensor" ?

Could you clarify the sensor and location please? Cheers matey......

Best regards David

Ok forget that, found them on the wiring diag...interesting info

the two sensors are located underneath the air box on top of the transaxle right near the battery and the bell housing. i called the dealership and they haven't even heard of it... i explained what happen and they still are suggesting a new trainy what penny pinchers. i fixed the problem but was just lookin for new sensors..

What is the checkout for the two sensors on top of the tranny? Are you checking the Resistance value, if so, do they have to be removed from the tranny ?