Is Struts Mount Problem Listed For Rx300 2001 (tsb)

trips1

I have 87,000 miles on my Lexus RX300, 2001.

There is some noise on my front left side wheel, especially on bumps. A toyota dealership diagnosed that the Struts Upper Mount has gone bad.

After going through tons of emails on this topic it looks the Lexus Tech Service Bulletin (TSB) has covered this topic.

Please can someone help me with the following:

1- Is the issue also present in 2001 RX300 and documented in TSB. (All the emails pointed out that it is only with 99 and 00 RX's)

2- I have a Lexus Gold extended warranty. My toyota dealer called the customer care and they were willing to cover the labor. I am asked to pay 189*2 (for bothe sides) i.e. total 378 to replace these. Is it genuine. I guess upper mount is some rubber bearings. The extended warranty Gold plan reads

"Suspension: (Front and Rear): Bushings/Bearings, Control Arm Shafts, Electronic Modulated Suspension, Actuator/Motor; Radius Arm; Spindle; Spindle Support, Steering Knuckle, Upper and Lower Ball Joints, Upper and Lower Control Arms"

Should the Gold plan not cover the Strut Upper Mount??

3- Should i buy the Strut Upper Mount bushings/rubber from outside and get it replaced by some independent mechanic.

Any idea on the cost, part+labor??

Does anyone knows the part numbers and where should i buy them from?

4- If i don't get the upper mount changed can it be dangerous or affect the entire strut body or any other parts.

I really appreciate the time that you all spend in maintaining this forum and helping novice like me.

Your warranty says suspension bushings, I would call the Upper mounts part of the suspension bushings, but that is just me. there was an improvement in the upper mount to supposedly make them more reliable, I bought mine at NAPA auto parts and got a lifetime warranty on them with a AAA discount they cost around $60 apiece. Installation should not be any more than replaciing the Struts on your car ( I did it myself ) and any independent mechanic should be able to. As for any danger, well it could fail and cause the strut to become loose, but that would have to be extremely worn. Most of the time they just make noise when going over bumps. I would push the warranty first, and if not successful, then buy the things from NAPA and take them to your favorite mechanic....by the way you can buy them with and without the pivot bearing, for some reason they were cheaper with the bearing at NAPA.

Thanks for the email!!

I called the Extended warranty customer care and they do cover the strut upper mount part and labor.

And the rep said that strut part is not covered but if i am getting the strut changed along with the upper mount then both would be covered by the same labor.

So i guess the Toyota dealership wanted to change the whole strut. The extended warranty rep suggested me to buy the strut myself and then take it to any lexus/toyota dealer or an independent mechanic who can buy the upper mount separately.

Please can someone help me with few more "novice" :( questions:

- What part number i need to buy? I find that Strut assembly is composed of multiple parts. (coil spring, strut rod).

- A good website/store to buy it.

Thanks.