Opinions On Wheels

alaskaty

i think it might be ok looking but..... its going to look like a four wheel drive unless you want to spend some more cash to get it lowered

would it change the ride height if they were almost identical in diameter to my stock wheels? I was thinking the same thing you were, but didn't know.

i think it might be ok looking but..... its going to look like a four wheel drive unless you want to spend some more cash to get it lowered

would it change the ride height if they were almost identical in diameter to my stock wheels? I was thinking the same thing you were, but didn't know.

Anyone thoughts on this?

Anyone thoughts on this?

the thin tire creats and optical illusion that there is more wheel gap. how heavy are those?

the thin tire creats and optical illusion that there is more wheel gap. how heavy are those?

Couldn't tell ya. But I'd imagine pretty heavy considering they're 18x8, chrome, and there's a fair amount of metal. The tires will be lighter though!

I wouldn't drop it... you're just opening yourself up to rubbing issues with +sized wheels/tires. We've got 18"s on ours at factory height and it just gives a nice even spacing all around the wheels well... it looks pretty much like factory wheel and tire spacing.

post-34901-1195085393_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't drop it... you're just opening yourself up to rubbing issues with +sized wheels/tires. We've got 18"s on ours at factory height and it just gives a nice even spacing all around the wheels well... it looks pretty much like factory wheel and tire spacing.

Thanks. I like how your car sits, so It looks like I'll get the wheels and keep the stock ride height. Do you have any better pics? Good lookin car!

• 4 weeks later...
I'm in the market for some 18" chrome rims and was wondering what people thought about these. I have a 98 es300 with tinted windows (not in pic)

es3.jpg

polowheels.jpg

I had a 94 Es with 18x8 on the front and 18x8.5 for the rear, used the Eibach springs and it leveled the car perfectly. The tires weren't tucked in the fender, could fit a piece of paper between tire & fender. The look was amazing but in the end I wish I never did it. 1. Blown shocks due to springs: Insert type shocks no good after markets avail. The Eibach springs in the front made this annoying rattle when hit bumps, took it back to shop and they cut a garden hose and wrapped the bottom coil, hack? but it worked and couldn't be seen.2. Shaved lip on rear fenders off to avoid shredding new PZero's: lean on fender to hard screwed. 3. 5 passenger to maybe 3, if rear passenger only 100lbs. I believe the tires were hitting the control arm, added a spacer to fix that but now on big dips in road tires rub fender. After 2 summers, 20 alignments, 2 sets of tires, transmission decided to go, Master Tech at Lexus of Norwood, MA blamed the larger rim causing to much strain. BS, Honda Civic's can take 18's. In the end traded in for 98 ES same as yours

, trade value less $2700 due to transmission and they thought the rims were part of the deal, wasn't that the cause.

I have had my 98 for 9 years and after a year of doubt I decided to put the rims on this one, thank god they fit as is.

From the clearance of the fender you should be able to drop 1" in the rear in order to level. These cars look great when the rim is flush width wise with fender, light shaving of fender might be needed but keep most of the lip and clear coat after grinding. Don't get real low profile tires, Lexus has an amazing feel on the road, Eibach and larger rim with a lot less rubber makes for a completely different ride. I live in Boston and the roads suck !Removed! so at times I can say I hated the after market ride on rough roads but loved the overall increase in handling, turn on a dime, recommend sway bar for front suspension. Rims lasted for 3 seasons on 98 before Boston's streets retired them.

The 5 star rim on that pic is real nice, subtle and at quick glance looks almost factory which is O.K. less attention to thieves. Check out www.wheeldg.com and look at the "BT" "Freestyle" Chrome rims there is three different finishes. Similar to the style I had but way better. Hope this helps even though posted a while ago, Rims and accessories are expensive the last thing you want is issues when the car looks great. My 98 is the same color as yours with tint also consider adding Xenon due to the clear lenses that the ES has you will see so much more. careful when buying I'm on set 2 and not because of the car but the quality of Xenon kit. Helios 12,000K are the ones i have look better and are brighter than any stock car xenon, cops will break'm if you don't point them slightly lower. Also will need a relay added between battery and ballasts total of 2, not part of kit and will kill your battery if not installed. Every type of car has different issues when adding Xenon, also don't use auto on for your headlights with the Xenon. After Xenon you will never go back to halo. fogs look great when changed and clear flush side markers added to fenders are a plus. Simple and clean add-ons makes the ES jump up in class. Will try to find pics to post, post yours when done. on your factory rims put some blizzaks great on ice and snow.

Good luck any questions let me know.

P.S. Cars in shop due to the transmission not engaging after about 10 minutes of driving, mechanics having trouble. Keep your eye on your tran, I read a lot on tran problems with ES's.