Some Noob Questions

Lmnhed

OK I am looking to sell my 93 240sx SR20DET in an effort to get something nicer. I know I want to stay with an FR layout and decent power (and power potential). So I have basically decided on getting an SC300 once I sell my nissan, that is if I can find a good 5-speed SC300. So anyways I am new to this car so I have a couple of questions.

-Out of curiousity I was wondering what an SC300 would do in the 1/4 mile (in stock form)?

-Since Supra owners like to go single turbo, how much money/work would it be to install their old twin set-up on an SC300? I have gathered it isn't a bolt on affair, but what does it takle to do it?

-Do SC300's come with LSD's from the factory? Was it an option? or do you guys run Supra LSD's?

-What are the differences between the 2JZGTE in Supras and the 2JZGE that comes in SC300's other than turbo? Ex: what is the compression of the two motors? how good are the rods? Do both have oil squirters? Etc...

I would say that I am a very knowledgable guy, but that is about Nissans. And don't worry i am a do it yourselfer so Labor doesn't figure into the cost of this. I already have 2 rebuilds and countless engine swaps under my belt (nissan, honda, mitsubishi), so I am definitely comfortable with turning a wrench. And feel free to post links to FAQ's or write-ups about my questions. I just want to learn more about these cars.

heres all that i can answer: quarter time in stock form i think is about 15.6 depending on driver. but that can all change with a motor swap and a big turbo :P as for putting old supra twins on you probably need a TT head (something about the compression) or just a whole swap. I have a sc400 and no LSD(believe me i tested it :lol: ) and i think they offer a trd LSD but i think its just a supra one. Rods and crank are all solid pistons are different, head gasket, head (like internal porting is different) most people on this forum will probably push you to a NA-T conversion but like me you seem to be able to do all of your work you self so I would tell you to do a swap and plus theres a guy who wrote a book on how to do it all with with wireing and all. well hope this helps!

Personally I would be more interested in putting a turbo kit on the factory motor, rather than swapping to the 2jzgte, but I still have a lot of researching to do. I have done my fare share of swapping motors in the past, and with whatever my next car is I would like to not have to pull the motor right away to have fun. Thanx for the reply :D

-Out of curiousity I was wondering what an SC300 would do in the 1/4 mile (in stock form)?

-Since Supra owners like to go single turbo, how much money/work would it be to install their old twin set-up on an SC300? I have gathered it isn't a bolt on affair, but what does it takle to do it?

-Do SC300's come with LSD's from the factory? Was it an option? or do you guys run Supra LSD's?

-What are the differences between the 2JZGTE in Supras and the 2JZGE that comes in SC300's other than turbo? Ex: what is the compression of the two motors? how good are the rods? Do both have oil squirters? Etc...

I have my eye on s13's for a while now. I don't want the sr though - I can't afford it anyways.

A sc300 in good shape with a good driver will run mid to high 15, low 16? The factory spec time can be found in our faq (it needs a little updating for dead links :blink: )

Good luck getting a TT set-up in there. You'll need to hack up the TT manifold (if that's even possible as tight as it is) and go standalone or get TT heads and ecu with a plethora of wiring and mechanical issues I don't care to get into. It would be a lot of talented work for little gain.

No SC300 came with an LSD (debated). TRD offers a unit, I think KAAZ does - then there is the stock TT LSD. This is not an easy job either I've heard.

There is a thread on the motor differences. They are very similar actually. 8.5:1 on the turbo motor vs. 10:1 on the NA. The rods are excellent (no ring issue like those KA's either) - the stock NA motor will take the abuse and beg for more with the right tuning. The NA motor does not have squirter, the TT does. There is a thread somewhere.

Check our FAQ for links. Angel did a good write up, as well as Scott - and more.