Removing Ps Pump - Which Bolts?

lexus400

I am in the process of removing the idle control valve on the PS pump and plugging it. Found the correct size oil drain plug (if what I read was correct - 14mm x 1.5).

I started to work on this and thought, why do I need to actually remove the valve. So, I tried a couple of vac caps with small hose clamps on the 2 valve inlets. It works enough to know that there's no difference with/without the valve. I drove it and it felt fine. One of the caps is dripping though. Not sure if I cut it with the hoseclamp, maybe I didn't even need it but wasn't sure what kind of pressure is building up.

Anyway, I'm going to just plug the pump as originally planned. I don't see anyway to get the valve out w/o removing the pump or at least loose enough to turn it on it's side a bit. I replaced the pump about 5 years ago but can't remember which mounting bolts I need to remove so I can get to the bottom. Can someone tell me or post a pic?

Anyone removed the valve with the pump in place?

thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Im in exactly the same situation as you. I have the plug sitting in by glove box but i just cant seem to remove the valve either from top or bottom. The PS pump will have to come off. There are some tutorials for that try this: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261358

Till then to stop the leak, Dont just plug the hose. Cut out a 3 inch part of hose and connect both the connections on the valve so the fluid can loop back and there is no preasure. Dont forget to plug both nipples on intake.... I will plug the pump maybe this weekend.... maybe

cheers

thanks, unfortunately, that tutorial assumes that the pump is out of the car aleady. I'm so frustrated because I did this about 5 years ago! My manual only says "remove mounting bolts". I just can't remember which bolts to remove to get it out!

If anyone knows, please post!

I tried to get a vac line looped to each port on the valve, but there isn't even enough room to do that. If I left the old lines on I could have used a "T" but too late now.

Bob

I removed and replaced the ACV a couple of years ago, and posted how I did it-somewhere here. What I remember is that I had to saw a box wrench in half to allow access and enough torque room to loosen the valve. It worked, and years later my tranny fluid level has never lessened. Plus I also noted recently that my fluid seems very clear, probably because so much of it was lost, and replaced, when the ACV was blowing fluid out the exhaust when owned by the original owner.

Best of luck.

Hi Bob,

Don't try to replace the valve from below. You can however loop the valve nipples if you try hard enough. I found the procedure to remove PS pump here http://planetsoarer.com/Power%20steering%20pump.htm Just allow enough time before starting it.

Its not too hard, after all its just a car not the space shuttle. Best of luck man...

ps loop those nipples asap you dont want fluid leaking on your alternator...

Thanks I got it before I saw your post (damn!). What I wound up doing was removing the reservoir (3) 11mm bolts. Once that was out of the way, I used a short 17mm wrench to get the valve out. I put the wrench on the valve and then hit the other end with my 1/2" bar and a hammer to loosen it.

I used an oil drain plug in place of the valve.

Bob