Engine Noise

91LexusLS400

91 LS400 w/324K. Today I begin hearing an aweful racket coming from under the hood. Louder at idle, but at speed it goes quiet(er). I open the hood to listen and it sounds like it's coming from the main fan clutch, but not 100% sure. It looks like it has a slight wobble when spinning. Sound is almost like a grinding noise. Thoughts or experience?

91 LS400 w/324K. Today I begin hearing an aweful racket coming from under the hood. Louder at idle, but at speed it goes quiet(er). I open the hood to listen and it sounds like it's coming from the main fan clutch, but not 100% sure. It looks like it has a slight wobble when spinning. Sound is almost like a grinding noise. Thoughts or experience?

That is your Fan Bracket. 324K is a lot of miles to get out of a fan bracket.

It is a doable DIY fix. You don't have to take out the radiator. It's a good time to change your ignition parts, if they need it.

The part should cost you $90-$125 or so.

Joe

Looks like you are in luck. There is an ebay seller offering Lexus/Toyota fan brackets for $90. (Search "ls400 fan bracket"). Mine failed at 150m and I was stuck 400 miles from home and was reamed by a local repair shop for $600+. The lexus part price was almost $300. You could see a little pile of aluminum shavings below the pulley.

glenmore

1990 LS400

2000 C280

1991 300CE