Dashboard Lights

jamnall

My '93 Ls 400 sat for about a month, when I went to start it the battery was dead, I jumped it and it started, but now most of my dash lights are on ( oil,brake,radiator,trac) . i tried do disconnect and reconnect the battery but that did not work, any other suggestions?

• 2 months later...

Come on somebody lets have some help! I got same car with same problem. Most of the warning lights don't go out when I start the car although they used to. Sometimes they go out out after half hour but sometimes not. As time has gone on they seem to stay on longer. The battery is charging and all seems fine except the warning lights are annoying. HELP!

wait until the battery is charged, i had pretty similar problem with lights when the battery was pretty much dead. after i replaced the battery things went back to normal, not sure if this is your case so before buying a battery borrow a charged one from some1 and try

My '93 Ls 400 sat for about a month, when I went to start it the battery was dead, I jumped it and it started, but now most of my dash lights are on ( oil,brake,radiator,trac) . i tried do disconnect and reconnect the battery but that did not work, any other suggestions?

Jamnall,

Sounds like you might have a drain on your battery or an internal short in the battery. In the winter, I turn off my remote entry. If the car's been sitting for a while, I would use a battery charger to get it to a full charge before starting the car. Starting and running the car with a discharged battery, places a great deal of stress on your alternator and will shorten it's life. I would also check your belts to make sure they have proper tension.

also check if alternator is giving enough juice, while the engine is running use voltmeter to check the voltage on the battery termnals, if its less then 14 then you might be in trouble with the alternator or the charging circquit. also check the voltage on the batter when the engine is off. if its less then 12 then its bad, also keep checking while some1 else starts your car, if it drops below 10 your battery mosty probably no good.

Jamnall,

Sounds like you might have a drain on your battery or an internal short in the battery. In the winter, I turn off my remote entry. If the car's been sitting for a while, I would use a battery charger to get it to a full charge before starting the car. Starting and running the car with a discharged battery, places a great deal of stress on your alternator and will shorten it's life. I would also check your belts to make sure they have proper tension.

PS: If you're charging a cold battery, make sure it's a 2 amps or less (trickle charge) with an automatic shutoff for when the battery reaches full charge. A cold battery cannot accept a high rate (10 amps) quick charge. An easy way to locate the drain, is to disconnect the battery and let it sit for as long as you can, then check the voltage. If it's up then your drain is in the system. If it's down then your battery can't hold the charge and should be replaced. Bigste says that all seems fine, but have you checked what voltage the alternator is cranking out? If your output is low, with all the systems that you have running in the car, your battery will not charge up fully and your warning lights can light up.

I would also check your voltage regulator while your at it.

Jamnall,

PS: If you're charging a cold battery, make sure it's a 2 amps or less (trickle charge) with an automatic shutoff for when the battery reaches full charge. A cold battery cannot accept a high rate (10 amps) quick charge. An easy way to locate the drain, is to disconnect the battery and let it sit for as long as you can, then check the voltage. If it's up then your drain is in the system. If it's down then your battery can't hold the charge and should be replaced. Bigste says that all seems fine, but have you checked what voltage the alternator is cranking out? If your output is low, with all the systems that you have running in the car, your battery will not charge up fully and your warning lights can light up.

I would also check your voltage regulator while your at it.

PS: One other thing I overlooked and it's the easiest but could also cause your problems, check your battery terminals to make sure they're tight and clean.

SORTED! It turned out to be a small leak on the PAS reservoir. When I changed the alt it looked ok, bit damp maybe but not ringing wet. Anyway I took the alt off again and the pump was wet through and it had dripped onto alt. O ring was under 2€ and the old one was really shot although still in one piece. All ok now.

SORTED! It turned out to be a small leak on the PAS reservoir. When I changed the alt it looked ok, bit damp maybe but not ringing wet. Anyway I took the alt off again and the pump was wet through and it had dripped onto alt. O ring was under 2€ and the old one was really shot although still in one piece. All ok now.

Good thing you caught the leak before it did in your new alt. For insurance, you might want to flush the p/s and clean the solenoid screen to prevent any pressure buildup. Changing the acv on the pump would be a good idea as well. Cheap preventive maintenance.