Window Border Strip

GKLCPA

I don't know if window border is the right term, but I'm referring to the black plastic strip that borders the front windshield. Mine has got the paint peeling and the silver underneath is showing and I've tried to paint once, but the paint didn't keep. Can you replace this strip and how much does it cost?

You can replace them. They are call window moldings. moderatly expensive. If you have,t had your windshield replaced? And you need a new one? It is a good time to replace them. They bend very easy, so have a professioal install them. Or you can just repaint them

I don't know if window border is the right term, but I'm referring to the black plastic strip that borders the front windshield. Mine has got the paint peeling and the silver underneath is showing and I've tried to paint once, but the paint didn't keep. Can you replace this strip and how much does it cost?
They're a little less than $90/side at Park Place:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...amp;catalogid=2

Thanks Blake. I'll either order from these guys or see if I can get from my local lexus dealer. It's a little thing, but it makes the car look like crap around the window, so I'm glad I posed the question and got an answer. Thanks again.

They're a little less than $90/side at Park Place:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...amp;catalogid=2

I had the same problem on my 1994 LS and purchased a small tin of semi matt paint from my local hardware store ($3.00),bit of masking and brush painted.

Cannot tell they have been done and still OK a year later.

Semi matt paint? Is that what it's called or do you mean semi metallic?

I had the same problem on my 1994 LS and purchased a small tin of semi matt paint from my local hardware store ($3.00),bit of masking and brush painted.

Cannot tell they have been done and still OK a year later.

If your trim is not dented to bad and it is just chiped I would just paint them. I have not done it on my Lexus but have done it to others. If you were going to spend the money on replaing anyway what do you have to loose if repaiting them dosent look good? If it does or dont look good you are only out a few bucks. You can either go over the existing paint and chips or strip off all the old paint and repaint. I would use a gel type paint remover. Because it is a stock finish you might need to do it several times to get it all off. Keep a water hose near by just in case you would get any were it dosent belong. Either way take your time and do it right. Mask off all areas and do light even coats. If you decide to try it give us a before and after pic if you can.

I painted them before and the paint came off. Apparently, I got the wrong type of paint. Once I get some clarification on the paint needed, I'm going to attempt that first before ordering new ones.

What type of paint did you use?

If your trim is not dented to bad and it is just chiped I would just paint them. I have not done it on my Lexus but have done it to others. If you were going to spend the money on replaing anyway what do you have to loose if repaiting them dosent look good? If it does or dont look good you are only out a few bucks. You can either go over the existing paint and chips or strip off all the old paint and repaint. I would use a gel type paint remover. Because it is a stock finish you might need to do it several times to get it all off. Keep a water hose near by just in case you would get any were it dosent belong. Either way take your time and do it right. Mask off all areas and do light even coats. If you decide to try it give us a before and after pic if you can.

I painted them before and the paint came off. Apparently, I got the wrong type of paint. Once I get some clarification on the paint needed, I'm going to attempt that first before ordering new ones.

What type of paint did you use?

To be honest it has been along time since i did it and cant remember. I will say that when buying paint I buy the very best quality I can find except for just general stuff like blacking under fenders and such.