Steering Wheel Noise- Remedy?

Samantha

My steering will started making noices while im driving. its like a slight vibration sound. The scottsdale dealer told me they could pull it up and put a piece of felt under there to try and silence it for $200. It will stop when I tap the top everytime it does it but thats pretty ghetto. Any other remedies?

My steering will started making noices while im driving. its like a slight vibration sound. The scottsdale dealer told me they could pull it up and put a piece of felt under there to try and silence it for $200. It will stop when I tap the top everytime it does it but thats pretty ghetto. Any other remedies?

The problem here is that pulling the steering wheel off is very tricky if your not the mechanical type, and don't have the proper tools. You need a steering wheel puller, and you have to know how to disconnect the air bag and remove it. Then you can get to where the issue is.

It sounds to me like the steering wheel itself just needs to be cleaned and maybe adjusted and tightened. A piece of felt sounds like a temperary fix at best.

• 2 weeks later...

my IS just starting making noise from the steering as well. it's driving me nuts! almost sounds like a slight grinding sound when you turn the wheel. sounds like its coming from just behind the steering wheel. only does it as certain points. when you're turning a corner for instance you will hear it. every time the bottom spoke hits 11 o clock you hear it.

i want to rip it open and see what is causing it. but i'm a little aprehensive. any suggestions?

-adam