Stereo Question

TA in KC

Hello, I have a 1992 LS with Nakamichi audio system. It seems to me that I am having some kind of bass issue. Sounds normal to me when the bass knob is turned all the way up, but when it is in the middle-preset position it sounds like there is something wrong. I don't think it is getting any bass at all, actually, when it is in that position. I would think, that the type of sound I am getting with the knob turned all the way up, would be the sound I should be getting with it in the middle position.

There is still sound coming out of the subwoofer, as when I get in the back seat I can hear it and feel it when I put my hand on top of it. My question is, what part do you think is bad, subwoofer, or the amplifier? Does anyone know of any aftermarket replacements that would work? I am not looking for "boom boom" kind of sound, just would like to make it sound like it is supposed to. Any responses would be much appreciated.

Thank you, Thomas

I would guess your amplifier is bad.

I have the Pioneer system in my '91 ls400 and I believe that the amp is starting to fail also. The sound quality out of the speakers is not the best. Maybe Nakamichi has the same problems.

You could always just try hooking a new amp up to it instead of your Nakamichi one.

I would guess your amplifier is bad.

I have the Pioneer system in my '91 ls400 and I believe that the amp is starting to fail also. The sound quality out of the speakers is not the best. Maybe Nakamichi has the same problems.

You could always just try hooking a new amp up to it instead of your Nakamichi one.

Thanks for the response. I have been told by several local folks the only amp that is a compatible replacement is another Nakamichi one, although I thought I had seen a couple of people on the forum that had successfully installed an aftermarket unit. I am not in a big rush, as I still think the stereo sounds great, probably because I don't listen to much music that has a whole lot of noticeable bass. I would just like to know what to do if it starts to get progressively worse.

Anyone out there who has successfully installed an aftermarket amplifier?

I actually just got done installing a Rockford Fosgate amp in my LS tonight. I have it in there for some subs but you can easily hook it up to your speakers also.

If you take your Nakamichi amp out you should be able to hook up your aftermarket amp to the speaker wires that were on the old amp. You might need to run a new power cable though since the aftermarket amp probably takes more juice.

That's just my theory. Hope you figure it out.

Anyone one else have some actual experience replacing these amps?