Quick Help On New Purchase

Hitech

Hi,

I live in NYC area and I am in the process of comparing quotes from multiple dealers for 07 and 08 models and looking for quick help on following items. I appreciate your feedback.

1. Manufacturer of Tires - My understanding is GX comes with Michelin Tires but what I see here @ Ray Catena/Weschester is Dunlop and Bridgestone. Some trucks have Dunlop while others have Bridgestone. This is the case for 07 leftovers and on all 08s as well. The questions is, should I insist for Michelin or these tires equally good?

2. Hand Rest for Driver/Passenger Seat - During my test drive, I did not see a way to adjust the height of hand rests. I was able to change their angle but could not adjust their hieght. Is it possible to adjust their height? I felt them little too high for me.

3. For 08s, dealers are quoting $1500 over invoice. What should I negotiate for? They are quoting same or higher price for 07s due to their higher msrp/invoice price. I was offering 2k below invoice for 07s but no luck so far.

I appreciate your response.

Thanks

I can give some insight on price.

I'm in the Boston area and bought a 2007 a few weeks ago. The sticker for a loaded GX including rear entertainment was $56.5K and my purchase price was $49K. Every dealer I spoke with was giving pretty big discounts on the 07 models. The4 minimum discount I got was 2500 off MSRP and that was without much pushing.

For 2008, the dealers are trying to stay close to MSRP. since they have just arrived, there is less willingness to discount.

If you do some research on Edmunds you realize there is a pretty big dealer margin on Lexus products so $5 -7 K discounts are not that unusual. All you have to do is find a dealer willing to go there.

Well I can give you advice for the arm rests (i presume that's what you mean when u say hand rests right?). They can't be adjusted the way I think you want them to adjust, meaning you want the arm rest to adjust up and down like, let's say the seatbelt height right? Well I believe (i could be wrong) that there IS NO CAR out there that has a height adjustable arm rest, usualy they're only angle adjustable like in our GXs..

The Michelin X-Terrains are great tires, the Bridgestone is not too bad, but not as good as X-Terrain. The Dunlops are horrible, stay alway from those. Some people have manage to get the dealer to switch to Michelin for a cost, but most dealer dont want to deal with swaping tires.

Not sure about the NY area, but here in Boston, almost all 07 are selling at invoice and the 08s are about a $1000 over invoice. I am sure if you wait till the 07s are gone, the price of the 08 will drop.

Thank you all. I am not finding that many 07s in NY/NJ area. Whatever I found, the quote for them is well above invoice. I want to get the sports package because I really like that black wood that comes with it but every dealer in this region are saying that Lexus is not making GX with sports package. Is this true? Any place/dealer that you can think of where I can find this option? Thanks.

Lexus dont make that many sport package period. You may need to special order it.

And have a 3-4 month wait. Unless the dealer can locate a GX with the KDSS package before it gets to an assigned dealer and swap it. Worth a try.

You guys are right, I could not find a GX in NY/NJ with sports package and finally settled with one without it.

I am picking my truck on saturday. $49K (excluding taxes,title) even for 08 with nav & mark levinson, third row, rear seat entertainment, rear spoiler, lexus link, preferred accessory package and tow hitch without ball mount.

May I ask you all some tips for handling the final pickup process (like what to look for, etc). I appreciate all responses. Thanks