Struts

jrat69

Just got a 99 RX300, rides good, but does seem to roll on curves and the nose dips pretty good when brakeing, The previous owner does not recall ever replaceing the struts, and it has a lot of miles on it. Any recomendations on brand to buy? I see KYB, Gabriel, and Monroe advertised the most. Is one better than the other? Please give me your feed back on them. Thanks

Just got a 99 RX300, rides good, but does seem to roll on curves and the nose dips pretty good when brakeing, The previous owner does not recall ever replaceing the struts, and it has a lot of miles on it. Any recomendations on brand to buy? I see KYB, Gabriel, and Monroe advertised the most. Is one better than the other? Please give me your feed back on them. Thanks

I just replaced my struts on my 98 ES300, I believe the 99 RX 300 have the same chasis, with Monroe Sensa-Strut. I am very happy with the ride. My friend has a 97 ES300 and he replaced his with KYB's. We compared the ride and handling and we both agreed that my Monroes gave a smoother ride. For the heck of it, we went to the local Lexus dealer and drove a 99 ES 300 with fairly low mileage (80,000) which still had factory struts. My Monroes still had the smoother ride. So, in my opinion, the Monroe's gave a better ride. The KYB's and factory struts gave a more firmer and sporty ride. I guess it depends on what kind of ride you want.

This is my opinion and preference only.

.......and it has a lot of miles on it......

How many miles? The RX 300 does tend to roll more than your average sedan or a german SUV so unless there an obvious problem, don't go overboard! If you decide to replace the shocks, I strongly recommend OEM (find out what they are and DON'T buy them from the dealer). It's very difficult to duplicate the factory ride with non-OEM spec shocks.