Transmission Whine

chadmg7

Hi,

I tried searching the forum for keywords "transmission" and "whine/whining" (a couple of different keywords) but nothing came up about my problem. I thought for certain this would be a common tranny problem.

Can anyone ease my mind and tell me that it's normal for my 97 ES to sound a bit like it's whining when it accelerates? I know that sounds bad. But if I turn down the stereo and turn off all the ventilation systems, I can hear a slight whining when I accelerate. Unfortunately, the whining sounds like it coincides with the transmission shift and/or how hard I push the accelerator. When I let up on the gas, the noise goes away.

I believe my car has done this for quite some time (2-3 years at least) and I thought my old mechanic said it was nothing to worry about. But on my old car (not a Lex), the planetary gears started going out on the tranny and it sounded like this, but worse.

Can anyone give me some insight? Could I need a tranny flush? I fear that it's the transmission, but I realllly hope not.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1994 ES300 and it had a noticable "Whine" Originally I thought it was the transmissing, and later located the whine was coming from the power steering pump. This is what I did to check it

1)Start vehicle

2)with vehicle running and in park move steering wheel from left to right.

3)If the whine gets louder it may be your power steering pump, or rack.

4)further isolate it by having a friend turn the wheel while you listen to the left side of engine, then right side. If the noise is louder on the left it may possibly be the p/s pump or rack. if it is coming from the right it may be your tranny.

Hope this helps.

BTW Im changing my p/s pump tomorrow at the craft shop. let me know if you want some pics :D

Hi,

I tried searching the forum for keywords "transmission" and "whine/whining" (a couple of different keywords) but nothing came up about my problem. I thought for certain this would be a common tranny problem.

Can anyone ease my mind and tell me that it's normal for my 97 ES to sound a bit like it's whining when it accelerates? I know that sounds bad. But if I turn down the stereo and turn off all the ventilation systems, I can hear a slight whining when I accelerate. Unfortunately, the whining sounds like it coincides with the transmission shift and/or how hard I push the accelerator. When I let up on the gas, the noise goes away.

I believe my car has done this for quite some time (2-3 years at least) and I thought my old mechanic said it was nothing to worry about. But on my old car (not a Lex), the planetary gears started going out on the tranny and it sounded like this, but worse.

Can anyone give me some insight? Could I need a tranny flush? I fear that it's the transmission, but I realllly hope not.

Thanks.

wow my SC is starting to make that noise also, but it doesn't make that noise all the time just sometimes when I'm driving. Does this sound like the same kind of problem or does the sound have to be there all the time? Please let me know because I know it's no big deal now but later on it will be.