Weird Rumbling/vibration Problem, Yes I Searched...

hondaspeed85

Ive been searching through old threads and couldnt find a problem like I'm having

I have a 92 LS400, and on the freeway , starting at about 70mph I can feel a weird rumbling/vibration in my car. The funny thing is, It will rumble for 3 seconds, and then go totally smooth for 2 seconds, then rumble again for 3 seconds, and then again go smooth for 2 seconds. It does this VERY consistantly, and will keep doing it at those speeds. Its most prominent between 75-80. Anything faster and you can feel it, but not as bad as when your at that speed. Anything under 65 and the car is silky smooth.

Also, anything faster than 80, it will rumble for rumble for 1 1/2 seconds, then go away for 1 second (the faster you go the shorter the rumbles). I cant really feel it when I'm coasting in Neutral, but as soon as I pop it back into drive it will do it again.

When Im at those speeds and put it in neutral, I watched the RPM needle and when its at idle, it idles smooth, no miss or RPM scavenging, and when Im in neutral, coasting at those speeds, if I rev it up to 2500-3000 (the rpm range it usually vibrates in) it still feels smooth, so it only rumbles in gear and above 70

Ive searched through many threads on here and no one has a problem like the one I have. Theyre rumble/vibration doesnt happen consistantly like mine. Most of the time their motormounts/transmission mount is bad. Could this be my problem too?

Please advise, thankyou!

Ive been searching through old threads and couldnt find a problem like I'm having

I have a 92 LS400, and on the freeway , starting at about 70mph I can feel a weird rumbling/vibration in my car. The funny thing is, It will rumble for 3 seconds, and then go totally smooth for 2 seconds, then rumble again for 3 seconds, and then again go smooth for 2 seconds. It does this VERY consistantly, and will keep doing it at those speeds. Its most prominent between 75-80. Anything faster and you can feel it, but not as bad as when your at that speed. Anything under 65 and the car is silky smooth.

Also, anything faster than 80, it will rumble for rumble for 1 1/2 seconds, then go away for 1 second (the faster you go the shorter the rumbles). I cant really feel it when I'm coasting in Neutral, but as soon as I pop it back into drive it will do it again.

When Im at those speeds and put it in neutral, I watched the RPM needle and when its at idle, it idles smooth, no miss or RPM scavenging, and when Im in neutral, coasting at those speeds, if I rev it up to 2500-3000 (the rpm range it usually vibrates in) it still feels smooth, so it only rumbles in gear and above 70

Ive searched through many threads on here and no one has a problem like the one I have. Theyre rumble/vibration doesnt happen consistantly like mine. Most of the time their motormounts/transmission mount is bad. Could this be my problem too?

Please advise, thankyou!

Hi,

The same thing happened to my 92 LS400, I brought it to the transmission shop to check out the transmission mount, engine mount, everything seems to be fine, they could not find out what is wrong with it.

Finally, I changed the tires (my older set was Firestone), because it is about time, and the problem is GONE.

My suggestion to you is, balance the tires, or change them.

Hope this help.

Hat Be

• 1 year later...

Please advise, thankyou!

Hi,

The same thing happened to my 92 LS400, I brought it to the transmission shop to check out the transmission mount, engine mount, everything seems to be fine, they could not find out what is wrong with it.

Finally, I changed the tires (my older set was Firestone), because it is about time, and the problem is GONE.

My suggestion to you is, balance the tires, or change them.

Hope this help.

Hat Be

Any updates by chance? My is a 98...but i've been told it is the tranny, recommended a lube for shuddering? any thoughts or know a good lube for shuddering?

• 3 weeks later...

It could also be your lower and maybe the uppper ball joints. My car has this problem and I thought it just needed struts but when I changed them out the problem was still there so my mechanic told me my ball joints are bad. In order to get the upper ball joint you'll have to replace the whole upper control arm as the two pieces are not sold separately which can be pricey!