Acceleration And/or Transmission Issue?

sdloeffler

Greetings, I'm new to the forum and to Lexus and have a few questions. First I'm coming from a long line of Acura Legends and RL's and never had a lick of problems with those cars. I've had my new ES350UL for two weeks and 1000 miles now. The other day I started out and noticed a couple of hard shifts in the transmission. These occur at lower speeds and aren't consistent. I've also noticed it when decelerating the car. I start to accelerate and then let my foot off the gas, the car seems to decelerate very quickly and there is a rough shift when it downshifts. This is usually when I'm in heavy traffic.

The second issue, again when I'm driving somewhat slowly or starting out, is that the car doesn't seem to have a nice smooth progression in acceleration. The best way to describe it is that sometimes I feel like I'm pulling a boat behind me.

Thirdly, today driving the parking lot at work, the car seemed to surge when I barely hit the gas.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do I have the dreaded transmission issue?

Thanks, Scott

Well, I'll reply to myself as I have just witnessd the 3rd to 4th gear shift flare. All of my issues seem to start early in the driving day. Though that may change as it appears the transmission is getting worse with more mileage. How does a company like Lexus let this happen. I'm a long time Acura/Honda driver and admittedly, they have the smoothest driving transmissions, but I never expected this. I guess I should prepare myself for a battle at the dealership.

Well, I'll reply to myself as I have just witnessd the 3rd to 4th gear shift flare. All of my issues seem to start early in the driving day. Though that may change as it appears the transmission is getting worse with more mileage. How does a company like Lexus let this happen. I'm a long time Acura/Honda driver and admittedly, they have the smoothest driving transmissions, but I never expected this. I guess I should prepare myself for a battle at the dealership.

It might be a very long battle as Toyota and Lexus have been having transaxle design problems of one type or another since the '98 introduction of the RX300. I should say one "symptom" or another since it is of my own personal opinion that this all started late in the last century when they decided to downsize the gear type ATF oil pump in order to reduce the heat load, and improve FE, on the Camry transaxle to be used on the HEAVIER RX300.

Didn't work but then they didn't discover that before adopting the technique across the entire FWD and F/AWD product line.

Oh, throttle "tip-in" surge is a long standing problem with Toyota and Lexus, I first noticed it in my 2000 GS300 and Lexus claimed it was operating as designed. Dumped the GS at 8,000 miles as my wife couldn't stand the unavoidable "jack-rabbit" starts.

>> The other day I started out and noticed a couple of hard shifts in the transmission. These occur at lower speeds and aren't consistent <<

I've had the same symptom. It is inconsistent but seems to happen most often when going slow, e.g., around a corner, and then hitting the gas. I'm up to about 3100 mile and have not gone back to the dealer yet (although I was there for the lights!) I'll bring this up at my first service... I don't think it's the transmission service bulletin, but I don't really know.

Brian

Mine is going into the shop tomorrow. I'm preparing myself for the response that they can't find anything and that it is normal. I'll laugh at that point. Why would a company build in that kind of anomoly in their automobile. But, who knows what I'll get. The dealer has been great so far, so we'll see. I had the 3rd to 4th gear flare again this afternoon accelerating down an on ramp to the highway. It feels almost like your car shifts into neutral, and the Tac revs up. There is another Lexus forum where a guy kept going to the dealer and they said they couldn't find anything, so he took his video camera out and filmed. Stuck it on the internet and gave them the DVD. They quickly became believers and replaced his transmission. You wouldn't think you would have to go to such lengths, but again, who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

My car bought at March 2007 has the same issues as you described, except that I didn't experience any 3rd to 4th gear flare.

I also have the issue of braking noise. As I slow down to a stop, there is a kind of rumble just before stop. This only happens at low speed but not at high speed. I mentioned it to the Lexus dealer in Fremont. They checked and said it's very normal. But I don't have this issue for my BMW325i and Honda Accord.

Is this really normal for braking noise? Please comments!

Mine is going into the shop tomorrow. I'm preparing myself for the response that they can't find anything and that it is normal. I'll laugh at that point. Why would a company build in that kind of anomoly in their automobile. But, who knows what I'll get. The dealer has been great so far, so we'll see. I had the 3rd to 4th gear flare again this afternoon accelerating down an on ramp to the highway. It feels almost like your car shifts into neutral, and the Tac revs up. There is another Lexus forum where a guy kept going to the dealer and they said they couldn't find anything, so he took his video camera out and filmed. Stuck it on the internet and gave them the DVD. They quickly became believers and replaced his transmission. You wouldn't think you would have to go to such lengths, but again, who knows.

An update: I took my car into the shop, and to no surprise it would not act up while I had the tech in the car. I left it for the remainder of the week. On Friday I called and asked what the situation was. My service manager informed me that they could not duplicate the problem, and the transmission was working as designed. We decided that I would pick up the car and log any issues and try to identify any patterns (different driving styles could make the transmission act differently). A minute after hanging up my service manager calls back to tell me that the tech finally got the transmission to act up and she wanted to keep my car for the next week while I was out of town. While I'm out of town I email svc mgr to find out how things are going. I'm thinking they have replaced the transmission, applied some software patch, something. She responds that the car hasn't acted up again and, wait for it, "is working as designed." Do they teach them this saying? At any rate, without going into too much more detail, the dealership said that it "needs to act up more consistently."

They've seen it once themselves. Shhouldn't that be enough on this kind of car. It's not going to heal itself, and it hasn't. For two or three days it rode problem free. It was a joy. Now, transmission flare two or three times each day. I can't tell you when it's going to happen and I can't make it happen. But, it happens, and it's beyond frustrating. I don't know what to do other than try and video tape it. Is this what I paid all this money for? Maybe they would treat me differently if I had paid $65k for the LS. I guess my $40k doesn't mean enough.

The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection my butt. They're going to give me a stress induced stroke or heart attack.

I'll post my video of the flare when I get it.

For what it's worth, I bought the car and had it serviced at Nalley Lexus Galleria in Smyrna, Georgia.

An update: I took my car into the shop, and to no surprise it would not act up while I had the tech in the car. I left it for the remainder of the week. On Friday I called and asked what the situation was. My service manager informed me that they could not duplicate the problem, and the transmission was working as designed. We decided that I would pick up the car and log any issues and try to identify any patterns (different driving styles could make the transmission act differently). A minute after hanging up my service manager calls back to tell me that the tech finally got the transmission to act up and she wanted to keep my car for the next week while I was out of town. While I'm out of town I email svc mgr to find out how things are going. I'm thinking they have replaced the transmission, applied some software patch, something. She responds that the car hasn't acted up again and, wait for it, "is working as designed." Do they teach them this saying? At any rate, without going into too much more detail, the dealership said that it "needs to act up more consistently."

They've seen it once themselves. Shhouldn't that be enough on this kind of car. It's not going to heal itself, and it hasn't. For two or three days it rode problem free. It was a joy. Now, transmission flare two or three times each day. I can't tell you when it's going to happen and I can't make it happen. But, it happens, and it's beyond frustrating. I don't know what to do other than try and video tape it. Is this what I paid all this money for? Maybe they would treat me differently if I had paid $65k for the LS. I guess my $40k doesn't mean enough.

The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection my butt. They're going to give me a stress induced stroke or heart attack.

For what it's worth, I bought the car and had it serviced at Nalley Lexus Galleria in Smyrna, Georgia.

"For two or three days it rode problem free..."

I have long suspected that overfilling the transaxle with ATF, EVER SO SLIGHTLY, might solve this flare problem.

Is it possible the service dept. "topped off" the ATF thinking doing so was really of no consequence??

I have long suspected that overfilling the transaxle with ATF, EVER SO SLIGHTLY, might solve this flare problem.

Is it possible the service dept. "topped off" the ATF thinking doing so was really of no consequence??

Quite possible. The paperwork says they checked the fluid levels and everything seemed fine. So, I don't know.

A new question for those with this similar issue. This may seem weird, but it almost feels like the transmission or engine or something doesn't have enough fluid. It's hard to explain, but it feels like the car doesn't operate smoothly when it is in drive and it sounds and feels different. Again, the only way to describe it is if you can imagine parts rubbing together without enough lubricant. If you're experiencing it then you'll know what I mean. You almost hate to put the car into gear. It was operating smoothly after I brought it home, but not now. You know, you almost have to live this issue, because explaining it is almost impossible...

Quite possible. The paperwork says they checked the fluid levels and everything seemed fine. So, I don't know.

A new question for those with this similar issue. This may seem weird, but it almost feels like the transmission or engine or something doesn't have enough fluid. It's hard to explain, but it feels like the car doesn't operate smoothly when it is in drive and it sounds and feels different. Again, the only way to describe it is if you can imagine parts rubbing together without enough lubricant. If you're experiencing it then you'll know what I mean. You almost hate to put the car into gear. It was operating smoothly after I brought it home, but not now. You know, you almost have to live this issue, because explaining it is almost impossible...

Everyday in the morning this is what happens to me with my car.

I start the car. Supposedly reverse it, and then when i put it to D shift and accelerate. It accelerates fine but on the second and third OR third or fourth, the RPM just sky rockets from lets say 2x to 3.5x or 4x with noise and no acceleration and then everything stays normal. anyone with this issue?

Ok, this is going to sound so bizarre that I don't believe it myself, but as a coincidence with my transmission gremlins I tried something new the other day. I put different gas in my car and it drives totally different, and so much better. Ironically, I haven't had a transmission issue since switching gas. I've always used QuickTrip (QT) gas in all of my cars, and I was putting it in my ES. I always use the highest octane gas. The other day I switched and put Shell gasoline in my car and the difference is amazingly unbelievable. It's quick off the start and smoothly transitions between gears. I have no idea how better gas would effect the transmission, but again, no transmission issues. No flares. Thoughts? Coincidence or associated? I wonder if QT was selling lower octane gas as 93? For those of you who have tried lower octane gas in your car, does it have an impact? Thanks.

As always, after buying a new Lexus I used the recommended octane(91) for a few months and then reduced the octane to 87. I haven't felt any reduction in power or gas mileage with the lower octane. Also, I have never noticed any transmission idiosyncrasies.

I'm sure that some people will claim that the only way to go is with the higher octane, but If I felt any reduction in efficiency, I would once again go back to using the higher octane.

Here's the page from the '07 Owners Manual

FuelRequirementsES350.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The dealer shouldn't have to duplicate the problem but once to verify that it exists. Lexus surely knowns from all the feedback it gets, what the problem is and what needs to be done. Sounds like a stalling tactic from the dealer.

Maybe it is a stall tactic, but I will say the dealer came through in a much more positive way. I got my sales person involved, she's a sweetheart by the way, and she escalated it. They had the car for another week and say that don't find the problem, or actually, that it doesn't drive any different than other ES350's. When I picked the car up a couple of nights ago another service manager helped me and freely admitted that they have had numerous issues with shifting issues in the ES. He said he doesn't understand why Lexus won't deal with the problem. He also said most people who have the issue get out of the car and buy a GS.

On the flip side, they said the added about 20 oz. of transmission fluid. The car rides better to me, but I'll watch it and see.