Please Help On How To Remove Center Console

tbilisi79

Whoa there!

The links torose supplied are for a 91-94 LS. Here is a link with instructions that are appropriate for the 95-00 LS400: http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexusLS400str1.htm

Be gentle when removing the wood console trim on a 95-00 LS; it is much thinner and more fragile than on a 91-94. Personally, I think it is best to use a plastic trim removal tool or a well taped putty knive to remove the wood console trim on a 95-00. Doing so spreads out the force as you carefully pry the trim upward at the four indicated points.

After you lift the trim up and out, carefully unplug the wires for the ashtray/cigarette lighter, VSC button, and heated seats. The connectors do not need to be forced to remove them. Look closely and you can see how each one is disconnected.

Reinstalling the wood panel is almost an art. First you "plug" in the wood panel below the radio and then work your way towards the rear evenly on both sides - it will snap into place. Don't forget to reattach all the connectors first!

• 3 years later...

Okay so I'm baffled. I read the posts did the searches and attempted to pry up the corner of my wood console trim as stated on my 1998 LS400 and it wouldn't budge. I used as much force as I was comfortable with having read the '98 trim piece is fragile. I have a Pro-Fit plastic trim removal tool I've used on various trim pieces over the years so as not to damage anything. It bends and I pry, but the trim piece doesn't release. Any clues from anyone that has done this on a '98? Some of these links are for other years and some useless going to the wrong page. All I want to do is get the radio out to us an Sirius FM modulator. Almost ready to take it to the pros at the mobile electronics shop.

Thanks ahead of time.

Okay so I'm baffled. I read the posts did the searches and attempted to pry up the corner of my wood console trim as stated on my 1998 LS400 and it wouldn't budge. I used as much force as I was comfortable with having read the '98 trim piece is fragile. I have a Pro-Fit plastic trim removal tool I've used on various trim pieces over the years so as not to damage anything. It bends and I pry, but the trim piece doesn't release. Any clues from anyone that has done this on a '98? Some of these links are for other years and some useless going to the wrong page. All I want to do is get the radio out to us an Sirius FM modulator. Almost ready to take it to the pros at the mobile electronics shop.

Thanks ahead of time.

I'll bet I have the same little white Pro.Fit trim removal tool you have. But I don't use it to remove the wood console trim in my similar 2000 LS400. I usually use a stiff blade putty knife with its blade wrapped with electrical tape so I don't scar the wood. The wider blade spreads the force better than the Pro.Fit trim removal tool.

If I remember correctly, there are three friction fittings on each side of the wood panel ... one on either side of the ashtray, one on either side of the middle and one on either side at the rear.

It may take some "gumption" if the panel has never been removed before. Mine seems to come out fairly easy maybe because I have removed it quite a few times. When I helped a friend remove the panel from his 99 LS400 last year, it seemed much harder to budge and I suspected that it had never been removed before.

post-2157-0-54048600-1296925725_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-93820100-1296925750_thumb.jp

Okay, worked like a charm. Big ole stiff putty knife with a DuckTape (of course) coating! Panel popped right up. Took a lot of pressure so isn't for the faint of heart but its the procedure. We've Sirius Direct Connect now in our '98!

Thanks again.

Okay, worked like a charm. Big ole stiff putty knife with a DuckTape (of course) coating! Panel popped right up. Took a lot of pressure so isn't for the faint of heart but its the procedure. We've Sirius Direct Connect now in our '98!

Thanks again.

Cool! Did you have to pull the radio to plug the Sirius Direct Connect adapter into the radio antenna socket? Where did you mount the Sirius tuner and other components? Got photos?