Is300 With Gte And Vvt

Sgt Matt

Does anybody know about the 2jzgte with vvt ? Is it as capable as the non vvt? I've seen many 2jz's make some high numbers but none with the vvt-i. I just bought an IS300 with the 2jzgte vvt-i swapped into it and a single T67 turbo. Just trying to find some info.

Does anybody know about the 2jzgte with vvt ? Is it as capable as the non vvt? I've seen many 2jz's make some high numbers but none with the vvt-i. I just bought an IS300 with the 2jzgte vvt-i swapped into it and a single T67 turbo. Just trying to find some info.

Is it capable of what?

The supra motor is non VVTi.

Congrats on the IS300 :cheers: Post some pix B)

The 2JZ motor with vvti is just as capable for moderate boost conditions. You sort of have me confused. The 2JZ motor comes stock in the IS300. So it already has a turbo on it? how many lbs. is it running? Did they swap motors? You do have a I6 3.0L VVTi yes?

d662_1.jpg

The 2JZ motor with vvti is just as capable for moderate boost conditions. You sort of have me confused. The 2JZ motor comes stock in the IS300. So it already has a turbo on it? how many lbs. is it running? Did they swap motors? You do have a I6 3.0L VVTi yes?

This is an engine from a JDM toyota of some sort. It's an I6 3.0, (says 3000 on top) with stock twin turbos and vvti. The guy i'm buying it from said he took the twins off and converted to single for the motor to fit better. I'm not sure as to what the psi was running before but it has 10psi now. I found it on ebay but I didn't actually pay for it yet, until i see it. I'm in iraq and the guy is holding it for me. I'll have some pics up by the end of the day. I have a couple now but not of the engine bay. Also, it's a 2001 converted to 5 speed.5speed.jpg2001.jpg

Okay, Now I understand your question.

The Soarer had 3 engine options :

-1JZ-GTE (2.5L Twin Turbo I6)

-2JZ-GE (3.0L N/A I6)

-1UZ-FE (4.0L N/A V8)

Note that the twin turbo is a 2.5 liter and not the 2jz. So if it is the 2JZ motor, then this brings to mind some sierous questions.

1- What happened to the original 2 JZ motor?

2- who did the twin turbo add on?

3- what turbo is on the car? Garrett ? Turbonetics ? ????

Then and here is where my concerns come in. The car is a manual trans. The stock manual trans in the IS 300 is not a strong enouph tranny. They were noted for breaking even with less than moderate hp increases. ( Like 300-350 hp) So what tranny is in the car now?

If they did a full 1JZ swapp with the tranny, and then went from twin to single turbo, that makes alot more sense. And then I wouldn't be as concerned because the rev happy 1JZ has some different characteristics even though the 2JZ makes alot more ponies.

Also, see the gauges on the pillar ? there was a curtain airbag there before. I would just ask if the car is throwing up any cells, and if the air bags have been disabled.

When buying a car like this ( Engine swap and heavy mods) My strong advice to you is to get to know the person who did the work really well. Ask about thier background, why did they do this project, what are they driving right now, why are they selling it what oother cars have they worked on etc. etc. etc. If the car has been beat on and the turbo needs to be rebuilt, could add significant cost to the car real quick also. Was the car raced? ---of course it was. If they say no, theyr'e lying!! So make sure you test their honesty.

I'm not saying don't get the car. If all of it checks out and your comfortable then go for it. A turbo charger IS 300 is really really really nice !!! ( Fast!) Surprisingly fast!!!

How much for the car? how many miles on it? clean title?

[K, i found the car it came from, 99 or newer Aristo. They came with the 2jzgte vvti. Most people don't see them cuz they are newer. The car has a clear title and the stock IS tranny. Apparently this engine is an easier swap than the supra and can even use the stock IS driveshaft. I don't remember the miles but it was less than 70k and it didn't come with the sideskirt airbags. Also the turbo is a Greddy T67 gtevvti.jpg

I guess I don't understand why they did an engine swap for the same motor, but ok. Looks good. How much for the car? I would be leary of the stock manual tranny.

I guess I don't understand why they did an engine swap for the same motor, but ok. Looks good. How much for the car? I would be leary of the stock manual tranny.

It's not the same engine at all. This one came stock with over 300 hp and turbos. Check the pic , vvt and twin turbos from the factory.

It's not the same engine at all. This one came stock with over 300 hp and turbos. Check the pic , vvt and twin turbos from the factory.

yeah, but with out the turbos, it's the same motor. Why not just add turbos to the exsisting motor? Alot less money,and hassle. ( The 2JZE has the same internals as the turbo version,ie: pistons, connecting rods, crank and so on.) If you remove both turbos and adjust the ecu for n/a, it's essentially a 215 hp 3.0L I6 2JZE motor.

Oh and BTW, the reason you don't see Vvti motors used in high boost conditions is a tuning issue. When you set the tuning parameters for high boost levels, you generally exceed the limits of the Vvvti programing for timing advancements, knock control and a/f mixtures. That's all. It's not a mechanical deficiency issue.

• 5 months later...