Scratching/rubbing Noise Coming From Wheels

shaveman

I recently purchased a '91 LS 400 from one of the shadiest car lots in town. One of the first things I needed to do was replace the brakes. Between the time I ordered 4 rotors and 4 sets new pads and the time they arrived, the front passenger side had gotten so bad that one of the pads fell completely off (unfortunately resulting in needing a new caliper as well). After the nightmare of removing the 17mm bolts holding on the pressure plate (bending a brand new 17mm boxed-in wrench in half with a breaker bar) and getting the new stuff installed and put back together, my car stops just fine but there are new problems. I experienced a very nasty noise coming from the front drivers side which I can only describe as a scratching (obviously metal on metal) and a rotor heating up to the point of WD-40 vaporizing instantly when sprayed on it. The next day I pulled the tire back off and decided to ensure the pressure plate was installed while the rotor was seated correctly, flush with the mounting plate. By the time it got in my hands, the retaining bolts designed to hold the rotor in place until the wheel is put back on were non existent so I thought I may have mis-mounted the brake assembly. The new rotors and pads appeared fine, no scratch marks or anything other than the tell tale signs of them getting so hot. Repeated the process on the other side and re-bled the brakes. I still hear a slight scratch some times, though nothing like it was and the drivers side stayed cool, but now the passenger side gets hot. The Antilock brake light never turned off after the repair, but may be busted. Anyone know how to check the sensors? The scratching sounds go away when the brakes are applied and only seems bad when first accelerating, once I hit ~20+ the noise usually fades completely. It seems like the pads might not be releasing all the way, I obviously no pro, but they just didn't seem to "spring" away from the rotor as much as I would have expected. Is this just a temporary break-in period for new brakes? What are the chances I need new wheel bearings? Any advice/similar experiences are appreciated.

Yeah, I thought it may be the splash guards too, but I checked for that when I popped the wheel off and everything looks good. I don't hear any noise when spinning the wheel up on the jack, I must not be able to get it going fast enough, or it needs the weight of the car to hear it.