Gs300 ?s

I am looking to buy a used vericle and I have heard nothing but good things from Lexus owners. I have a budget of about 12k and there are two vehicles I am looking at closely the sc300 and gs300. For my price range most of the two models I am looking have about 100k miles on them and vary from years 1998-2001. Is there any problems these years or having that many miles? How reliable are these vehicles and is there anything they are notorious for? Is there a difference in the reliability from 1998 to 1999 to 2000 or 2001? Like was there a problem in 1998 that was fixed in 1999 vehicles? Is the gs300 less or more reliable than the sc300? I am currently very interested in a gs300 with 94k miles, 20" rims, and a prestine interior for $12,000. It is a fair price according to KBB but I don't want the mechanical problems I had with my last vehicle, a cadillac catera.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking to buy a used vericle and I have heard nothing but good things from Lexus owners. I have a budget of about 12k and there are two vehicles I am looking at closely the sc300 and gs300. For my price range most of the two models I am looking have about 100k miles on them and vary from years 1998-2001. Is there any problems these years or having that many miles? How reliable are these vehicles and is there anything they are notorious for? Is there a difference in the reliability from 1998 to 1999 to 2000 or 2001? Like was there a problem in 1998 that was fixed in 1999 vehicles? Is the gs300 less or more reliable than the sc300? I am currently very interested in a gs300 with 94k miles, 20" rims, and a prestine interior for $12,000. It is a fair price according to KBB but I don't want the mechanical problems I had with my last vehicle, a cadillac catera.

You cannot compare these two vehicles in any way... the catera was a catastrophy.

Lexus makes a great vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a 1998 GS300 yesterday (10.08.2007); and before I made my final decision I talked to local owners for the pro's and con's of owning a Lexus over a BMW. One person referred me to edmunds.com, go to there "car review" section and look under "consumer ratings & reviews". It takes a few minutes to read through the ones who really enjoy their Lexus, but also look at the ones who had to have some repair work done. Maintenance expenses seemed to be fairly low and no one wrote in that they were unsatisfied, especially compared to american and the german engineered ultimate driving machine.

Then make a conscientous choice...that's a far as I'll steer you.

I just purchased a 1998 GS300 yesterday (10.08.2007); and before I made my final decision I talked to local owners for the pro's and con's of owning a Lexus over a BMW. One person referred me to edmunds.com, go to there "car review" section and look under "consumer ratings & reviews". It takes a few minutes to read through the ones who really enjoy their Lexus, but also look at the ones who had to have some repair work done. Maintenance expenses seemed to be fairly low and no one wrote in that they were unsatisfied, especially compared to american and the german engineered ultimate driving machine.

Then make a conscientous choice...that's a far as I'll steer you.

I had a 97 Catera... I still hold a grudge against cadillac for it.

I bought a 1998 GS300 with 103,500 miles for 10,000$ and I am very happy with the car's quality built. Engine noise is almost none, very smooth ride with great handling, sound. I am very happy :D and felt right for making the right decision to buy it. I personally perfer GS model design than SC. I think SC models comes 2 doors only, is it right? The only thing is gas mileage is around only 17 in city driving. I don't know how many miles on highway yet.