Help! Car Suddenly Dead When Braking At A Stop Sign

yidaitianjiaous

I ran about 100 miles @ 80m/h, when off freeway, i braked at a stop sign, the car dead suddenly. I parking position, i restart it. when i got home adn braked for parking, engine chokes breathlessly. I just changed oil this morning. Check Engine light came on again when i hit freeway this afternoon till now. Anybody got any idea?

I ran about 100 miles @ 80m/h, when off freeway, i braked at a stop sign, the car dead suddenly. I parking position, i restart it. when i got home adn braked for parking, engine chokes breathlessly. I just changed oil this morning. Check Engine light came on again when i hit freeway this afternoon till now. Anybody got any idea?

There are probably lots of good ideas, but first we need a bit more info....year, miles, error code would be helpful.

There are probably lots of good ideas, but first we need a bit more info....year, miles, error code would be helpful.

sorry for not enough info. I just bought it in early August, it's 1992 LS 400, about 165k, no malfunction light at all... just changed oil in the morning. check engine light on before with code 41 and 71, but off after I reset the battery, no other indicator lights on at all...

sorry for not enough info. I just bought it in early August, it's 1992 LS 400, about 165k, no malfunction light at all... just changed oil in the morning. check engine light on before with code 41 and 71, but off after I reset the battery, no other indicator lights on at all...

this morning, i checked the car adn droce around, seems everything turns to normal, car ran ok and no choke at all. all malfunction lights off... what the hell is it. i thought it was tired or exhausted to death for 100 miles fwy run? ot is it the oil problem? just changed oil in the morning at a repair shop and donno what kind of oil they used. oil compatibility?

Sounds like you have a poor idle....Change the air filter and spray out the throttle body and that should help the idle... If you stall then it could be something more, like a clogged fuel filter, electrical sensor problem.... Any dash lights come on, and how does the car act around town? Does it stall at red lights?

We need more info...Maybe get a computer diagnostic check as well...

It sounds like a tune-up issue-like Jibby mentioned. Can you find out when was the last time the car had a tune-up?

A bad alternator, a blocked fuel rail also does something like this. Let's start with the Throttle body, tune-up, and if you have a AutoZone near you-you could ask to see if the Alternator is still good.

I am in Austrlia and had this same problem. After getting the run arround from mechanics I had a go myself and found a crack in the Air intack tube behind the MAF sensor (sucking in more air than it thought it was). replaced the cracked section of Hose (rubber elbow thing) and all fine now.

• 2 months later...

Check your air intake and filter, also clean the throttle body. That should fix it, be care full with the Mass air flow sensor.