Es300 Shift Lights

Floor_It!

Hello All,

Just registered today, love the forums and am very impressed by the member count. Quality and quantity, haha.

The problem, I shouldn't even say problem because it doesn't impede the car really, is the lights that illuminate the gear of the car on the panel next to the shift stick. They are out when all other lights are on and when the car is in night mode. Two buttons on the middle dash that control climate are out as well. My first thought is a fuse since several similar features are out, but I don't know the location of the fuse box. Second thought is a dead bulb in which case I'll be happy to pry open the panel assuming I know where the hinge's are located. Third thought is wiring, but I don't see that as a serious possibility. Call me a perfectionist, but I like everything to work on our car's. My father inquired as to fixing them at the Lexus dealer yesterday when the car was in for scheduled service and he was told it was a $200 fix. I'm pretty sure I can do it for the cost of a bulb or fuse. Unfortunately or Fortunately, depends on how you look at it, there aren't many Lexus's at the local Junk yard's I got to for parts for our other car's, so I'm going to have to buy new I suppose. I figure this type of problem is common as these lights go out all the time on other car's I've worked with, so hopefully someone here can help me out.

Thanks,

Marcus

• 2 months later...
the little panel near the shifter doesn't light up in mine either, but i don't think it's supposed to. the shift indicator is on the instrument panel

nope. it's definitely a blown out bulb, and i don't know how to replace it either. does anyone knowhow?

• 1 month later...

I had that same problem with my 97 ES. I don't know what year your ES is (maybe I didn't see it) but mine has heated seats and the way I got to the bulb was I pried out the heated seat buttons, disconnected the harness from the switch and pulled the wood cover up. The bulb is right under the shift indicators. It is just 1 bulb and it only cost me $3.00. The two heated seat switches snap into the wood cover. They come out fairly easily. Be very careful not to crack the wood cover when pulling it out. You should be able to get a flat head screw driver to help pry the front of the wood cover out of the console as well.

• 2 weeks later...
I had that same problem with my 97 ES. I don't know what year your ES is (maybe I didn't see it) but mine has heated seats and the way I got to the bulb was I pried out the heated seat buttons, disconnected the harness from the switch and pulled the wood cover up. The bulb is right under the shift indicators. It is just 1 bulb and it only cost me $3.00. The two heated seat switches snap into the wood cover. They come out fairly easily. Be very careful not to crack the wood cover when pulling it out. You should be able to get a flat head screw driver to help pry the front of the wood cover out of the console as well.

See, you have a different gen ES than I do (2002), and by looking at my dash and such I don't think the heated seat buttons you're thinking of are located where mine are. I don't want to go prying away at the wood trim only to find you have to unscrew something, thus leaving scratches and dents.

Any idea's?

Thanks,

Marcus

• 16 years later...