Battery Change = Engine Misfire?

absolutjh

what happened before the battery went out? You may have a bad alternator.

Nothing is wrong with the alternator. The battery needed to be replaced, so I pulled the old and put in a new. Started the car and now it is running as though it is only running on 3 cylinders.

I know some cars have a specific way the battery must be reconnected etc or the ECM/ECU can get screwed up. Unfortunateky there is nothing in the owners manual in regards to the disconnect, reconnect order?

there is no "order" for reconnecting the battery. I just referred to my technicians service manual. I'll read it more closely tomarrow, but try this, "resetting the fuel pump"

turn the ignition off. Disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes. Then reconnect the battery. turn the key to the "on" position, but don't start it. Leave it there for about 5 seconds, then turn the key to the off position. Give it a few seconds and then start the car and see if it still has the same issue.

If it does, the VVTi may need to be reset.

HELP... I changed the battery and now the check engine light is on and the engine studders and will not run over 3500 rpm? Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like your car has gone into "limp mode" for some reason. Are you getting any check engine lights or other warning lights on the dash? Try unhooking the negative terminal again for 10 min to reset the ECU again.

HELP... I changed the battery and now the check engine light is on and the engine studders and will not run over 3500 rpm? Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like your car has gone into "limp mode" for some reason. Are you getting any check engine lights or other warning lights on the dash? Try unhooking the negative terminal again for 10 min to reset the ECU again.

I spoke with the dealer and they say the ECU has tp be reset. Do you know how to reset the computer w/o going to the dealer? My BMW was a sequence of key on off etc and/or jumping pin 17 and 9 with a wire to reset. Does Lexus have anything similar? I currently show a check enogine light and the trac-off light is flashing. It seems as though the traction control is taking over above 3000 rpm.

Any thoughts or input?