Es300 Starts Then Dies

al_es300

Hi All,

I need help. While I was out, my '97 ES300 starts then dies. I can only start it if I put my gas on the pedal. As soon as I take my foot off, the engine dies. I was able to drive home but its very dangerous because everytime I take my foot off the gas, the engine dies. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi All,

I need help. While I was out, my '97 ES300 starts then dies. I can only start it if I put my gas on the pedal. As soon as I take my foot off, the engine dies. I was able to drive home but its very dangerous because everytime I take my foot off the gas, the engine dies. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

the gas pump, maybe its fawked.(does it smell gaz)?

Maybe your coilpack might want to check that out.

if theres is a little crack humidity will slip

I'm having the same problem. Here's what I've done as a patch fix until I get the car to a shop. Check the bolt that controls your idle RPM's. If you know where your throttle cable connects to your throttle body, look for a black piece of metal on a spring. There should be a bolt that acts as a "stopper" it keeps the throttle body from staying completely closed. What I had to do because my bolt was SOOO loose was to wrap it in Teflon tape and stick it back in the hole. I set my rpm so that it idles around 1,000. Do that until you can get it to a shop. I believe mine is a Throttle Position Sensor problem. But I've also read that cleaning the Idle Air Control valve could possibly fix this issue. I cleaned mine, and it didn't fix my issue, but my car did run smoother, lol. Hopefully we'll both get this issue taken care of. I'm taking my car to the shop after work today, and I will def post their findings on here in hopes to help both of us out. Please do the same.

EDIT: I have a 93 ES300

Hi All,

It sounds like the throttle control sensor. You should be able to run it to an auto parts store and they can plug in and tell you the code so you can be sure. Read the forum - I had to replace mine but saved some serious cash buying it on line then running it my mechanic to install.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all who replied. I have my car scheduled to be serviced this coming Wednesday (2days). I will certainly check on the bolt the control the idle rpm. I will let everybody know if the "throttle sensor" is the culprit.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all who replied. I have my car scheduled to be serviced this coming Wednesday (2days). I will certainly check on the bolt the control the idle rpm. I will let everybody know if the "throttle sensor" is the culprit.

so just wondering, was it the throttle control sensor, I am having the same exact problem

Hi Guys,

so just wondering, was it the throttle control sensor, I am having the same exact problem

Clean or replace the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve). You can save yourself alot of money if you clean it yourself. No need to remove it to clean it. Disconnect the solenoid and the air hose connected to it and spray carburator of brake cleaner. The solenoid operates the valve so when removed, it exposes the plunger it operates. Depress the plunger with your finger and spray into it. You will see the carbon come out of where you removed the air hose. A good note to remember is that the control valve is a bear to remove and you have to use a lot of force to get the four screws that hold it. OR? remove the whole throttle assy to access the screws and remove it. THIS IS A LOT OF WORK !!!!!! I have a 98 ES300 and I cleaned it about 90,000 miles and I have 135,000 on it now. No problems since I cleane it. Did the same thing on my friends 2000 Camry.

Dealer or Mechanic Cost to replace this valve about $400 to $500. My cost $2.98 Cost of a can of cleaner and about 30 to 45 minutes of my time.

R.Holmes is right! Starting in the morning was not a problem but restarting after going to the store for 30 mins. had to step on the gas pedal to get it going. Not only I follow R.Holmes direction but cleaned my throtle body too. Then added Seafoam in my fuel tank as recommended. Thanks save me alot!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

My 99 ES300 has similar idle problem. When I tried to take off the throttle body to take apart the IAC, I stripped one of the 3 screws. So I was unable to complete. I did opened the electric coil and saw the solenoid rotor. But I did not see any hole or a way you can spread carb cleaner inside the IAC. How did you remove the solenoid without taking apart the IAC

Hi Guys,

My 99 ES300 has similar idle problem. When I tried to take off the throttle body to take apart the IAC, I stripped one of the 3 screws. So I was unable to complete. I did opened the electric coil and saw the solenoid rotor. But I did not see any hole or a way you can spread carb cleaner inside the IAC. How did you remove the solenoid without taking apart the IAC

You just take off the coil and expose the solenoid rotor and when you rotate the rotor, it opens up the valve. Spray the cleaner there. Use the spray nozzle that comes with the cleaner. You can take off the vac hose to see the carbon come out. CAUTION!!! Don't loose the o-ring seal on the coil. If you replace the solenoid without that seal, you will have problems.

Hi Guys,

You just take off the coil and expose the solenoid rotor and when you rotate the rotor, it opens up the valve. Spray the cleaner there. Use the spray nozzle that comes with the cleaner. You can take off the vac hose to see the carbon come out. CAUTION!!! Don't loose the o-ring seal on the coil. If you replace the solenoid without that seal, you will have problems.

I meant the coil not the solenoid

• 1 month later...

Had the same problem here, 2000 ES300 would only start and run with accelerator pedal pressed, cleaned the IACV by removing the air intake, IACV solenoid and the vacuum line under the IACV and flushed it with brake cleaner while rotating the valve back and forth, runs properly now.

For those new to Lexus wrenching, like myself, after you remove the two phillips head screws from the IACV solenoid you can pull the solenoid straight off, it will feel strange because you must overcome a magnetic attraction between the valve and solenoid. Be careful not to lose the o-ring and wavy spring washer located between the valve and solenoid.

I hope none of my terminology is incorrect, I don't have any manuals to go by.

Thanks to all who contributed helpful information and to oldrx300 who posted an IACV pic in the following thread!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=11748