93+ 16" Wheel Swap For 92 Ls400

XL2007

The 15" wheels on my 92 look a bit....puny. I really do like the look of the Lexus wheels, so I figured I could keep the entire look by grabbing a set of 16" wheels to replace the 15 inchers. Now will that work out without any major hassles (offsets, etc) or will I end up having to look for some decent BBS wheels as an alternative?

Depending on the tire size you use on the 16s, the speedometer will likely be off a substantial amount.

My next door neighbor bought an early LS400 in fall 1989 and he used 16" GS wheels with his snow tires for a number of years. I never heard him complain about any problems and we "talked cars" quite a bit.

Do you know that 225/60-15 tires will fit on your OEM 15 inch wheels and and that they will keep the speedometer completely accurate as well as improving the braking and also the directional stability in cross winds?

Go to www.powerdog.com for a great tire/wheel size tool. Will tell you what size tires to use on your 16s to keep the speedo accurate.

And of you want a set of 16s, message me I have a set off a 1999 LS400.

The 15" wheels on my 92 look a bit....puny. I really do like the look of the Lexus wheels, so I figured I could keep the entire look by grabbing a set of 16" wheels to replace the 15 inchers. Now will that work out without any major hassles (offsets, etc) or will I end up having to look for some decent BBS wheels as an alternative?

Beside speedometer, I'd worry about the load on the shocks if I were you. 15 inch wheels are lighter than 16's. It might shorten the life of the shocks. Just a thought. But it happened to me before. Of course, it's different car but the similar scenario. I had a Taurus before and replaced one of the aluminum wheels by a bigger steel wheel, for a couple of months waiting for the alum. replacement. It ended up that particular shock started leaking pre-maturely.