1996 Ls400 Suspension Issues

TomD

I have a 1996 LS400 (original Owner) with 95,000 miles and original shocks and struts. Anyone with an opinion as to whether I should replace these with Lexus OEM or Monroe or other brand. Will aftermarket drastically alter the "Lexus ride".

Having driven over 240,000 miles in LS400s over the past 17 years, I seriously doubt that your shocks are worn out at only 95,000 miles -- they usually last far, far longer and often way past 200,000 miles. My current LS400 just topped 90K miles and the shocks are just fine. The current owner of my previous 90 LS400 told me recently that the car is still on the original shocks at over 240,000 miles.

With that said, be sure to have other front suspension components checked. For example, the strut bar assemblies on my 2000 LS400 had to be replaced at about 88,000 miles (about $550 at a Lexus dealer) -- the bushings were shot but it was cheaper to replace the entire strut bar assemblies. On my 90 LS400, most of the other suspension bushings and related components had to be replaced between 120K and 140K miles.

Stay with OEM suspension parts if you want to preserve the "Lexus ride". Plus size tires and wheels and aftermarket shocks and suspension components usually substantially degrade the ride while giving only a modest improvement in handling.

The main thing to keeping these cars going is to perform ALL the required services on time. And it doesn't hurt to change the differential and transmission fluid every 30K miles or so even if the service schedule says it is not necessary.

Keep on top of the maintenance and you are golden; skimp on maintenance and you are screwed.

Having driven over 240,000 miles in LS400s over the past 17 years, I seriously doubt that your shocks are worn out at only 95,000 miles -- they usually last far, far longer and often way past 200,000 miles. My current LS400 just topped 90K miles and the shocks are just fine. The current owner of my previous 90 LS400 told me recently that the car is still on the original shocks at over 240,000 miles.

With that said, be sure to have other front suspension components checked. For example, the strut bar assemblies on my 2000 LS400 had to be replaced at about 88,000 miles (about $550 at a Lexus dealer) -- the bushings were shot but it was cheaper to replace the entire strut bar assemblies. On my 90 LS400, most of the other suspension bushings and related components had to be replaced between 120K and 140K miles.

Stay with OEM suspension parts if you want to preserve the "Lexus ride". Plus size tires and wheels and aftermarket shocks and suspension components usually substantially degrade the ride while giving only a modest improvement in handling.

The main thing to keeping these cars going is to perform ALL the required services on time. And it doesn't hurt to change the differential and transmission fluid every 30K miles or so even if the service schedule says it is not necessary.

Keep on top of the maintenance and you are golden; skimp on maintenance and you are screwed.

Thanks for the good advise. The ride has been a little wishy washylately and I was told that the gas eventually escapes from the shocks so I though they needed to be replaced. I am going in for service soon and will have Lexus investigate.

Tom, being as how you're in NY, and knowing how rough those road are, I wouldn't think it would be much of a stretch to think you might be getting close to new struts. I replaced mine around the 100k mark, and made a nice difference. Not a major difference, but I noticed a bit tigher feel. It's still a very soft ride, and wishy-washy at times, if not bouncy.

• 1 year later...

My old 93 LS400 has 330K on it and definitely tired rear suspension even though no leaks from shocks. Any advice re options for changing springs/shocks for original ride or may be slightly firmer. I want to get back good ride quality. OEM is predictable way to go but wondering if I can retain simiilar or better/mor flexible ride with added adjustability with an air suspension setup ? Any experience with air conversions including businesses in TO area offering this ?

I do NOT want a low rider just an LS400 that can take a bit of payload and better handling without ride quality suffering unduly. Being able to raise ride height on occassions would be good too.

Thanks..