Newbie Trying To Price An 03' Is 300 Sport Design

whulu42

Hi,

I'm seriously considering buying a 2003 IS300 Sport Design described below for 21,500. 3 year bumper to bumper after market warrantee, that starts now. 35,000 miles car is very clean but not flawless.

The warrantee company is called "Hendricks Autoguard". This transaction is in San Francisco.

Stitching in pass. seat is ripped some minor scratches on rear bumper etc. Noise from left front brake plate,

and ABS sensor needs repair.

Owner has a vehicle diagnostic report done by Lexus dealership that seems to say all is well.

Can anyone advise me on how to determine fair price? The prices are all over the place with CR, Edmonds and KBB

Thank you.

THE CAR:

This is a rare car. Excellent condition inside and out.

3.0 V6 215 hp rear wheel drive.

automatic trans with manual mode option. (Shifting buttons on steering wheel.)

dark silver paint, black leather interior

premium audio 6 disc changer (in dash) and tape deck.

power everthing: sun roof seats, mirrors etc.

35,000 miles,

new tires,

recently serviced.

clean title, carfax, safety inspection.

(can provide paperwork.)

brakes at 50% front 75% rear

body, paint, interior in excellent shape.

$22,000K Firm

Hi,

I'm seriously considering buying a 2003 IS300 Sport Design described below for 21,500. 3 year bumper to bumper after market warrantee, that starts now. 35,000 miles car is very clean but not flawless.

The warrantee company is called "Hendricks Autoguard". This transaction is in San Francisco.

Stitching in pass. seat is ripped some minor scratches on rear bumper etc. Noise from left front brake plate,

and ABS sensor needs repair.

Owner has a vehicle diagnostic report done by Lexus dealership that seems to say all is well.

Can anyone advise me on how to determine fair price? The prices are all over the place with CR, Edmonds and KBB

Thank you.

THE CAR:

This is a rare car. Excellent condition inside and out.

3.0 V6 215 hp rear wheel drive.

automatic trans with manual mode option. (Shifting buttons on steering wheel.)

dark silver paint, black leather interior

premium audio 6 disc changer (in dash) and tape deck.

power everthing: sun roof seats, mirrors etc.

35,000 miles,

new tires,

recently serviced.

clean title, carfax, safety inspection.

(can provide paperwork.)

brakes at 50% front 75% rear

body, paint, interior in excellent shape.

$22,000K Firm

well, your description of the car and the ad for the car don't seem to match very well. That's my first observation. Next, I just sold my 2003 IS 300 with 30,250 miles on it, and it was show room inside and out for 22,000.00. The reason the IS 300 prices are all over the place is now that the new body style is out, people are snatching up the IS 300's and they are getting harder to find.

I would keep looking. The 3 year warrentee is no big deal, you can get that anywhere. I have bought many used cars, and the biggest factor I use is the person I'm buying the car from. In the ad it says "recently serviced" but you said there is a noise from the brake, and the ABS sensor is bad. ( Usually a sign that there was an air bubble problem in the brake line.) So did the service just skip these problems? They didn't have them diagnosed? and fixed?

Is it the "suede" leather seats or perforated leather seats?

$22,000.00 isn't a bad price for an IS 300, but I think you can find one in much better shape for the same price and maybe from someone who just seems more honest about their car.

well, your description of the car and the ad for the car don't seem to match very well. That's my first observation. Next, I just sold my 2003 IS 300 with 30,250 miles on it, and it was show room inside and out for 22,000.00. The reason the IS 300 prices are all over the place is now that the new body style is out, people are snatching up the IS 300's and they are getting harder to find.

I would keep looking. The 3 year warrentee is no big deal,

I'm thinking it adds allot of value to the 22K price? Is this wrong thinking?

I have bought many used cars, and the biggest factor I use is the person I'm buying the car from.

-I agree. The person is very sincere, he pointed out the ABS sensor and noise. I could not hear the noise-he mentioned it. The fact that I feel good about the seller is the main reason I'm considering buying this car at a premium.

In the ad it says "recently serviced" but you said there is a noise from the brake, and the ABS sensor is bad. ( Usually a sign that there was an air bubble problem in the brake line.) So did the service just skip these problems? They didn't have them diagnosed? and fixed?

He did all of the above. The dealership could not find the point of origin in the noise, as it was not doing it when he brought it in. He has offered to fix the ABS sensor, with the above mentioned warrante.

Is it the "suede" leather seats or perforated leather seats?

I can't remember, there is "suede" on the door arm rests if that helps

$22,000.00 isn't a bad price for an IS 300,

good to know

but I think you can find one in much better shape for the same price and maybe from someone who just seems more honest about their car.

This is by far the lowest mileage IS300 in the best shape I've seen. He is very honest, he just want's a preimium for the car. I'm trying to avoid getting into the hardcore haggling with him. I'm probably being to nice. This car is clean and in great shape-it just insn't flawless. Couple scratches on back bumper, and side door panel. Stitching in passanger seat is coming undone, there is interior wear and tear on floor mats and carpet. There is a July Lexus dealership diagnostic report from July 07 that passes every thing mechanically save for the aforementioned.

There may be better ones out there but not right now in San Francico with 35K miles.

Any other input you may have would be much obliged.

Thanks for your input,

Josh

Go to auto trader.com and look up 2003 IS 300 any price and any distance. There are more than several in there with 30,000 miles on them and are selling for $20,000.00 and there abouts. Maybe show him these ads and see what he says.

Go to auto trader.com and look up 2003 IS 300 any price and any distance. There are more than several in there with 30,000 miles on them and are selling for $20,000.00 and there abouts. Maybe show him these ads and see what he says.

Thanks for the tip Smooth, I hadn't even thought of Auto Trader. I just drove a GS 300 today. I like the ride and plushness more-so now a whole new can of worms I have to research. The GS's seem to be more expensive?

Thanks again,

Josh

BTW, those aren't leather seats then. They are Lycra polyvinyl seats. Leather was a $1,200.00 up charge.

How do you know? The seats were perforated. I looked in a IS 300 today sitting on the street, it seemed the same.

I can't believe the guy selling would so obviously mis-represent the car. I may not have detailed it right. But above the driver side door arm rest the material was "suede" like. Is that the indicator that the seating is Lycra?

Good looking out my friend,

Josh

The "upgraded" interior features leather seats and leather trim. The "standard" interior has a "suede" material on the door trims, and on the center cushions of all the seats in the front and back. That "suede" material is not leather. It's called Lycra. It feels like leather suede, but it's actually a man made material. Not that this is a bad thing, but I have seen other people advertise their car with this material as "leather" interior, when in fact it really isn't. Another easy tell is if the car has heated seats. THe upgraded leather comes with the heated seat option, whereas the standard seats don't have that option. The switches for the heated seats are on the center console below the stereo, and just above the cigerrette lighter and ashtray. If there is only the trac off button, and 2 fobs, then it's not leather, or the leather seats where not installed at the factory.

The GS is nice. It's much bigger though. Again, all in personal prefrences. But I have come to beleive so long as it's Lexus, it's nice. I think the IS has a much more "sportier" look not just on the exterior, but the interior. And yes, the GS costs more also.

Mine had heated seats and had the alcantra "suede". If the seating surfaces have a suede like texture, then it's alcantra. It it's smooth, then it's leather.

$22,000 is way to high for that car. It would be high even if the car was still in new condition and had been kept in a barn.

Mine had heated seats and had the alcantra "suede". If the seating surfaces have a suede like texture, then it's alcantra. It it's smooth, then it's leather.

$22,000 is way to high for that car. It would be high even if the car was still in new condition and had been kept in a barn.

Even with a 3 year bumper to bumper that starts this month and no tax, so out the door it's 22K.

What would a fair price be for this car?

out the door? that's a little different. Warrentee is about 500 bucks, tax is about 1400, so your really paying close to 20 grand for the car? And you said they will fix the abs issue? I guess that's an ok deal.

I myself am just hung up on the tears in the seat and the scratches. But if you can live with that then go for it. I think I would call the Lexus dealership you think you would like to take the car to for regular services and ask them about an extended warrentee and what they recomend. that way you don't have any "approval" issues and coverage problems as they work with their warrentee companies on a regular basis. Let me give you an example of how some of these "extended warrentees" can screw you. Let's say you take the car in and they "hear" a problem in the motor. First, the warrentee may not cover "exploratory" diagnostics. So you will have to pay out of pocket to find out what the problem is. Then let's say that they find the problem and it is a covered part, like a flywheel. Well, Lexus may charge 1800 bucks for the flywheel, but the warrentee payout for that part might be only 1200. So, you'll have to pay the difference. Also, most policies only cover up to about 60 bucks an hour for labor. Lexus charges considerably more than that. Again, you'll have to pay the difference. Call Lexus and ask to speak with a service tech and I'm sure they will tell you about some horror stories in using the wrong extended warrentee company. Also while your there, give them the vin nimber of the car and they can pull up all the service records for that car also. That would be very telling. Do you have the cqr fax report? If your really going to buy a car soon, get the unlimited carfaxes for 30 days for 30 bucks. It's so worth it. and then pull your own report. Compare that to what the dealer tells you and then you will have an accurate history for that car.

To be very honest with you, the 2003 model years are coming out of warrentee. So alot of dealerships used the IS and the ES and RX's as complimentary cars and long term demos. While the mileage is very low on these cars, they can be some very hard miles and these cars get abused often. If after you pull the carfax and see the title wasn't issued until way after the production date and dealer arrival, I would just walk away from the car.

out the door? that's a little different. Warrentee is about 500 bucks, tax is about 1400, so your really paying close to 20 grand for the car?

Exactly-glad you get my point. The seller puts the value of the warantee at 1650$ I have yet to check out the details of the it like you suggest below.

I myself am just hung up on the tears in the seat and the scratches.

Good point, they are minor, but keep the car from being "flawless".

I think I would call the Lexus dealership you think you would like to take the car to for regular services

A friend is the service manager. I'm going to have him look at the sellers Lexus Diagnostic report, and/or have

another one done and have the car checked again-seems like a prudent thing to do.

and ask them about an extended warrentee and what they recomend. that way you don't have any "approval" issues and coverage problems as they work with their warrentee companies on a regular basis.

This is a great point.

Let me give you an example of how some of these "extended warrentees" can screw you. Let's say you take the car in and they "hear" a problem in the motor. First, the warrentee may not cover "exploratory" diagnostics. So you will have to pay out of pocket to find out what the problem is. Then let's say that they find the problem and it is a covered part, like a flywheel. Well, Lexus may charge 1800 bucks for the flywheel, but the warrentee payout for that part might be only 1200. So, you'll have to pay the difference. Also, most policies only cover up to about 60 bucks an hour for labor. Lexus charges considerably more than that. Again, you'll have to pay the difference. Call Lexus and ask to speak with a service tech and I'm sure they will tell you about some horror stories in using the wrong extended warrentee company.

Smooth, you are the man. This is a very important issue you raise that I should check out. As the warrantee is

where allot of the value with this car is. If the warrantee has issue like above it's not that valuable.

Also while your there, give them the vin nimber of the car and they can pull up all the service records for that car also.

Yes I will do this.

Do you have the cqr fax report?

Yes, seller has provided this. It's clean.

C

ompare that to what the dealer tells you and then you will have an accurate history for that car.

Another great procedural suggestion summing how to learn about the car. Thank you.

To be very honest with you, the 2003 model years are coming out of warrentee. So alot of dealerships used the IS and the ES and RX's as complimentary cars and long term demos. While the mileage is very low on these cars, they can be some very hard miles and these cars get abused often. If after you pull the carfax and see the title wasn't issued until way after the production date and dealer arrival, I would just walk away from the car

Wow, another great point. I would never have thought of this. Man you guys are as good as the folks on Apple

discussion boards. I really appreciate all you input and time smooth.

Thanks so much.

Hey Bartkat, I know you know what your talking about, so I went back and double checked. And yes, you are correct. If you "special" ordered" it as an option, then you could get the heated seat option, but as a " package" they did not offer one without the other. So I digress and apologize for being errant. :P

Also, in checking, I did not know that fabric door panels were in fact the standard issue, and the Escaine Leatherette was an option also. Iv'e never seen an IS 300 with fabric before. I know that they had some funky option arrangements for the power / manual seats, but I think I would like someone to show me a pic of the fabric interior of an IS 300.

But on this point I disagree with you. I see 2005 IS 300 selling used for 29,000.00 all the time. I also see 2003's selling for low 20's alot also. This car has held it's value incredibly well. Go to Auto Trader and look for yourself.

I just sold my 2003 for 22 k. And they were happy for it.

• 2 weeks later...
So, did you decide to get the car or not? Are you still looking?

I passed on the one talked about above.

Found an 04' manual 41K miles, super, super, dealer clean. Offered 18,750. They agreed. But I'm holding out for less. I really want an automatic. But I'm seeing that this one is a great deal. The car is really like new. It's been sitting for 2 months. I wonder how low I can get them to go.

Whada ya think?

19k for an 04' is an awsome deal. If you can get in an 04' for under 21k and an 05' under 24k ( keeping the mileage in line) your doing great.

I agree, an automatic is nicer. I had the same issue when I first got mine, I thought I wanted the manual, but the auto has e-shift, so that's the way I went.(another toy to play with.) Plus the auto shifts soooooo nice. But the manual is more controllable, and is fun, but then the daily grind of city traffic can make it work, and then of course there is that "spirited" drive thru the country when manual is nice to have, but then again it's hard to talk on the phone or drink a coffee with manual, ooohhhhh, decisions,decisions............

Oh, and just a tip,,,,,get an IS 300. You will not be dissappointed.

19k for an 04' is an awsome deal. If you can get in an 04' for under 21k and an 05' under 24k ( keeping the mileage in line) your doing great.

Good to know smooth. Thank you. I just offered 18,500 for a Black 03, 53K miles, very clean. automatic. I'm seeing these things sit. I'm offering the low end of Consumer Reports Used Car Guide prices and Edmunds prices. Which are in the area of dealer trade in prices. I think the soft economy, media reporting otherwise aside, is making for a buyers market.

Thanks for all your feedback my friend.

Josh

Your welcome. When you get your car join the forum. we have a good time in here and there are alot of very knowledgeable people who are willing to help. Go to the General forum and go to the general discussions you'll find we talk about much more than just cars.

Anyway, good luck. Hope you get a great deal on an awsome IS 300 soon. And I hope to see ya around the boards.

Your welcome. When you get your car join the forum. we have a good time in here and there are alot of very knowledgeable people who are willing to help. Go to the General forum and go to the general discussions you'll find we talk about much more than just cars.

Anyway, good luck. Hope you get a great deal on an awsome IS 300 soon. And I hope to see ya around the boards.

Dig it on the exchange is more than just cars. As far as I know I am a member of the forum. Can you explain what you mean by "...join the forum."

I just meant be active here. You can be a member but never join in any of the forums, that's all.

Got it. To be clear-I'm not sure if I've "joined" this forum, or am just a member?