Upper Control Arms - Important To Replace?

andreas

I have a 1993 LS 400 with 185K. I am hearing the 'typical clunking' that I am reading about in the forums for high mileage LS's. It just occurs mildly when I go over potholes, speed humps or sometimes when I brake abruptly. My mechanic said I need new upper control arms and the cost is just over $1,000.

My question is: Is this a necessary repair for safety purposes? Is my front end at risk of collapsing if I don't get this done?

I am a musician, can't really afford to be pouring money into the car unless I have to.

Thanks!

I have a 1993 LS 400 with 185K. I am hearing the 'typical clunking' that I am reading about in the forums for high mileage LS's. It just occurs mildly when I go over potholes, speed humps or sometimes when I brake abruptly. My mechanic said I need new upper control arms and the cost is just over $1,000.

My question is: Is this a necessary repair for safety purposes? Is my front end at risk of collapsing if I don't get this done?

I am a musician, can't really afford to be pouring money into the car unless I have to.

Thanks!

Go to ebay and you can get them for $199......

try arnott industries website (http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LEXUS_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid7_pid65.html). scrool to the bottom of the page. you can get a pair of upper control arms (driver and passenger) for 199 plus S+H. I have to replace mine.

Thanks guys! So does $600 to install them seem a bit steep?

Are you replacing the upper AND lower control arms, is that where you're coming up with the 600? If just upper, for both sides, you would spend the $199 plus S&H for both sides (probably total 260ish). If your lowers also need replacement, i don't think arnott sells those.

Thanks!

Are you sure it's the upper control arm, because my clunking noise was based on something else. Try Wheel barring( probably because I waited for such a long time to repair the clunking noise) and a worn lower control arm bushing(about $30-60). Don't forget your car is sitting on the ground. Raising it actually shifts parts.

Before you spend the money, diagnose the problem. Take it to a mechanic and get their opinion.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I think my upper control arms are shot also.. I've put on new Lower ball joints and stabilizer bar bushings and strut bar cushions... Handles so much better, but I am hearing a popping, and slight clunking over small cracks in the street.. I grabbed the driver side upper control arm and shook it and it make noise and shifted.. LOL..

Anyways, anybody bougth from that place

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LEXUS...yid7_pid65.html

And are the bushings the exact as factory and do they maintain the ride...

Am just asking because I've seen a lot of discussion about some people putting in those stupid poly busings and non factory shocks and ruining the ride of this wonderful car..

Has anybody replaced their UCA's and does the car ride the same?

THanks

Hi All,

I think my upper control arms are shot also.. I've put on new Lower ball joints and stabilizer bar bushings and strut bar cushions... Handles so much better, but I am hearing a popping, and slight clunking over small cracks in the street.. I grabbed the driver side upper control arm and shook it and it make noise and shifted.. LOL..

Anyways, anybody bougth from that place

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LEXUS...yid7_pid65.html

And are the bushings the exact as factory and do they maintain the ride...

Am just asking because I've seen a lot of discussion about some people putting in those stupid poly busings and non factory shocks and ruining the ride of this wonderful car..

Has anybody replaced their UCA's and does the car ride the same?

THanks

Looks like you have tackled the components in the right order, with UCA being last.

There was somebody on this board I believe who put in the Arnott's and was happy with them.

However, I would be concerned about their longevity--Arnott has quality reputation problems with their other LS400 aftermarket parts.

Sure, they're cheaper than OEM, but for something that should last 80-100k, OEM prices don't look so bad. I guess it really depends on how long you plan to own the car.