Refueling

Parchment

Hi, I'm new to the group after lurking for a little while...it's nice to see folks helping each other (well except for that one person who appears to hate everyting). I drive a 2002 LS 430 with Nav/Lev (63000 mi) and have two questions that I can't find being addressed. [1] When I refuel (at several differnt stations) I find that pump handle shuts off if I don't hold it in a certain position. It's almost like there's an obstruction in the fill tube. I asked the dealer if they had had any other reports of this and the said no. [2] I am unable to find any mileage/time reqirement in the owner's manual for changing the timing belt . Any thoughts?

i think most lexus vehicles are supposed to have their timing belts changed at 90k, along with the water pump and other stuff.

sorry but i'm kinda confused about the pump question. is there any other way to hold the handle?

Thanks for your reply. The refueling problem is that when I insert the nozzle, pull the handle and set the clip, the fuel flows for 10-15 seconds and shuts off. If I hold it by hand in that same position it shuts off. It is only when I hold the handle up higher than normal that the fuel will flow. At first I thought that it was the pump, but it happens everywhere

I have had the same problem at the gas station with my LS. One time, the nozzle even fell out of the tank, spewing gas everywhere. I don't think it's a problem with your car. Maybe it's just the way they designed the fill tube on the car, i.e., maybe it's the way the fill tube angles down from the fuel door to the tank. Anyway, I played with inserting the nozzle in different ways and finally found one that prevents this from happening. You can try pushing the nozzle all the way into the fill tube. Or, try inserting it in just part way and see if that helps.

Some cars are just like that, it has to do with the angle of the filler neck like 03white said and it tricks the vapor pressure shutoff valve in the pump into thinking the tank is full. I'll ask my dad if it happens to him, he has an 04 LS430. I know it never happened with his 98 LS400.

Welcome to the club!