Where To Buy A Maf Sensor

jpkRE

Does anyone have any reccos on where to get a used or aftermarket MAF sensor and/or ECM? I seem to be having the same problem that a lot of the others on this board have had with my 92 sc300. (hesitation, not starting, dying out at low speeds or idle...)

The dealer has told me that its most likely the mass air flow sensor and if that doesnt work then we have to replace the ecu.

I dont have 1K and possibly another 2K to spend on my car that I got for 5200! Any suggestions or solutions are greatly appreciated! or just reccomendations on where people go to get parts would be great too!

James

Before you go buy a new Maf Try Cleaning it up with electronics cleaner. Google it and you will find out how. But is as easy as taking the maf out two screws and take it out of the plastic and clean everything with metal and contacts. The filament, and the connector in the harness. In the UK forums there is tuttorials. Maybe there is one at www.lexls.com.

Advance Auto sell them cheaper and rebuilts, but usually you do not need one if cleaned. The Electronics Part Cleaner is better because it lets you clean both parts the part and the electrical harness.

C.PR

It takes less than five minutes to remove and install the mass air flow sensor. Forget about the dealer for now. Try cleaning it with mass air flow sensor cleaner and let dry completely. Then re-install. If that doesn't work I think you can buy one from advance auto parts for around $50 or so. Or you can find one used on ebay. I had mine go bad on my sc400 and it seems to be a common sensor that goes bad.

Just gotta warn you, I tried cleaning my 1993 sc400 MAF with the CRC brand MAF cleaner and totally killed it

I was going to try and reset the negitive terminal, but its hopeless as of right now, signals included trac light and check engine light. I say dont do it!

I figure I'll do a little updating because this seems to be a common part to go.

What started as a blinking trac light which would intermittently come on and off, is leading to a replacement

It was a nice day, figured I’d finally clean that sensor

Gently sprayed the crc MAF cleaner on the exposed sensor, and quick shot into the metal housing

Waited 10 minutes, plugged it all back in and started the car. At first there were more lights on my dash than a Christmas tree

When it finally all settled down, I was left with a rough idling car, with leaps in RPM from 800 – 1700 and the check engine light and trac off lights on, car shifts hard between gears

I’m hoping that swapping out this part will fix things because it is the only part I touched. Also before doing all this make sure you disconnect the battery. That’s what the repair manual says , so I think I will take its advice from now on

The part catalogue says that the part needed is for a 92-95 sc400 is 22250-50030 but that is both the sensor itself and the housing

The sensor which I just pulled is part # 22204-42011 by Fuji electric. This is the same sensor in a ls 400

Which according to Wikipedia the sc400 and thels400 share the same engine so parts should be interchangeable

I don’t have any error codes yet

This sounds like what going on in my 1998 sc300 it just started. it only occurs at idel and the tach needle bounces between 100 rpms and 1300 rpm.

I do not want to mess with trying to clean it. so where can you get these other then ebay or a dealer dealing with either can hurt your wallet.

I rather go with a good quality aftermarket part but I do not think they are available as I checked with a foreign parts place in my town and they had nothing in after market for a lexus sc mass air sensor. whats been your experence using a generic MAS or do you know where to get an OME part.

thanks

Same hear. MAF cleaner killed mine. Don't try it. Murray auto had a rebuilt "Cardone" for $55. There the only one that I found under $150. Wow great deal. Dealer wanted $910, not including the gasket. This is a no brainer. Don't waste your time like me. Murray's is the BEST deal by far. This is a no brainer descision