Rx 330 Trailer Hitch And Wiring

Mike Bearden

I have just bought an 05 RX330...I can find lots of trailer hitches but no adapters for the lights...my vehicle doesn't appear to have any prep for the wiring. Any thoughts other than the dealer.

When you say "adapters for the lights" are you meaning the wiring that runs from the vehicle to the trailer (or whatever you're towing) to power your turn signals & brake lights? I've looked for a 4-way flat, sometimes called a T-Connector online & I'm having some difficulty finding one for the 05 RX. You might need a taillight isolator or a convertor. I'm still looking... If I can't find something online - you might want to contact Lexus to find out what you need. If it is an isolator or convertor of some type, that will be available online. You can also check with any local truck accessory shop - they might have a quick answer. Will let you know what I find....

They do not have one for lexus RX 330.

Ooops - you're right. Nice how they have the years at the top, then down below say it won't work - jeesh! I think you're going to need a converter which means hard wiring. I'd try a local truck accessory shop that sells hitches, or even a U-Haul or boat dealer.

Good luck!

I have just bought an 05 RX330...I can find lots of trailer hitches but no adapters for the lights...my vehicle doesn't appear to have any prep for the wiring. Any thoughts other than the dealer.

Why not go the the dealer??? I would rather have an OEM wiring harness that was designed to plug right in to the existing electrical system than have someone who may or may not know what they are doing, (especially on a Lexus) trying to 'rig up' a connector by cutting and splicing wires together. I would venture to guess you can just buy the wiring harness seperate from the hitch itself. It is at least worth a call to the dealer to find out.

Why not go the the dealer??? I would rather have an OEM wiring harness that was designed to plug right in to the existing electrical system than have someone who may or may not know what they are doing, (especially on a Lexus) trying to 'rig up' a connector by cutting and splicing wires together.

The dealer is certainly an option. But basically it's going to mean adding the tow package (minus the hitch) & that's going to be expensive. Converters do have to be hardwired, but they're common practice. But I certainly agree about going to the dealer & that would be my suggestion.

If your RX was not prepped with the tow package you have to buy an electrical converter to use the electric circuitry. Apparently the Lexus lights are LED rather than standard American style.

Look for my post "RX350 Trailer Hitch Facts" in the 07-RX350 forum. The hitch fits a RX330 perfectly and includes the wiring harness for a towing package equipped RX. The part number for the electrical converter is there also.

The weight limit for a towing equipped RX is 3500 pounds but is 2000 pounds if not so equipped.

• 1 month later...

The factory RX330 hitch comes with the wiring you will need. There is a harness hidden in the frame that connects to this. All RX330-350 have this wire tucked in the frame rail. it can be difficult to find though. You can buy the Hitch #PT228-48045 at LEXUSPARTSMALL.COM for $239.20. They will also send the TIS installation instructions.

• 2 months later...

I installed the U-Haul hitch on my wifes 2005 RX330, but thought it was butt ugly (not a hidden hitch). I then ordered and installed the Lexus hidden hitch and it looks so much better.

If anybody is looking for a like-new U-Haul hitch, I'd like to sell mine "cheap". I have plenty of photo's if interested. Any reasonable offer + actual shipping costs (UPS or FedEX, which ever is cheaper from Las Vegas, NV). The U-Haul hitch doesn't include the wiring harness, but I've read on this forum that the RX uses the same harness as Toyota's.

• 1 year later...
I installed the U-Haul hitch on my wifes 2005 RX330, but thought it was butt ugly (not a hidden hitch). I then ordered and installed the Lexus hidden hitch and it looks so much better.

If anybody is looking for a like-new U-Haul hitch, I'd like to sell mine "cheap". I have plenty of photo's if interested. Any reasonable offer + actual shipping costs (UPS or FedEX, which ever is cheaper from Las Vegas, NV). The U-Haul hitch doesn't include the wiring harness, but I've read on this forum that the RX uses the same harness as Toyota's.

How much do you want for your U-haul hitch?

• 4 months later...

I also installed the U-Haul Hitch and one of the Curt T connectors. What a pain in the neck!

The U-Haul hitch was a breeze. Took me about 10-15 minutes. No biggie. And yep, from pics I've seen, the OEM hitch does look nicer.

I originally got a Universal light module at U-Haul but decided to return it. I didn't want to cut into the harness + would have had to run a wire from the battery to the rear.

Looked around for an electrical connector ("pigtail") that would tap into the harness. No-go. The dealer doesn't have these either.

So, in searching around I got the Curt Mfg T connector -- part is 55563 (w/out seeing a real picture of it). Here's where the "fun" begins.

Auto parts stores have them as special order (in PHX anyway). I got mine from a eBay store.

Even with the Curt kit, you need to run a wire from the front (or other appropriate 12 volt source). To do that, I had to remove battery and air filter box to route the wire and secure properly. That was a bit of a pain too. Its not exactly a clean run with great attach points from from engine compartment to the rear. Had to use quite a few more wire ties and careful routing of the wire to stay away from running gear and "hot stuff". 8-)

I have the tow package. So there's a wiring harness/connector in the left rear cargo area (under all the cubbies). Ok, easy enough. Or so I thought. I figured, one connector into the harness, run the 4 pin flat bit and I'm done. Ohhhh, no. And this is the odd part. The car's hitch electrical seems to have all the right signals (turn signals, brakes, running lights). BUT. The Curt adapter has 3, count 'em 3 connectors. One goes to the trailer harness connector on the car. The other two "T" into the car's tail lights. One of them connects into the left side (a 4 pin connector) and other connects on the right side of the car (a 2 pin connector). Those other two required partially removing two other panels on the side.

If anybody has a burning need for pics, PM me or post here and I'll take a few and post them.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd just buy the Lexus hitch with the integrated wiring.