What Code Is When Engine Light Constantly Flashes

okrim

HI, I am new to the forum, I have a 93 LS 400 with 135k miles on it. The car will not crank and the engine light is on. I pull the code and it is constantly flashing. Don't know what that means. Anybody out there that has the same problem. Also car will not stay started.

how did you pull the code? and what light is constantly flashing?

i pulled the code by putting a jumper on the odb1 underneath the drivers knees, then the engine light constantly flashes

Its suppose to flash so you can read the code. The first set of flashes will be the first digit of the code then there will be a slight pause and it will flash the second digit of the code. For instance code 35: flash.flash.flash..(pause) flash.flash.flash.flash.flash and then it will repeat this code unless there is another code stored it will begin flashing the second if one exists.

Its suppose to flash so you can read the code. The first set of flashes will be the first digit of the code then there will be a slight pause and it will flash the second digit of the code. For instance code 35: flash.flash.flash..(pause) flash.flash.flash.flash.flash and then it will repeat this code unless there is another code stored it will begin flashing the second if one exists.

I know that part, but the flashes are constant, there is no pause between, it just keeps flashing at a steady pace.

Hi,

You say the engine is not cranking and the Engine management light is on?

The light is always on when the ignition is on but should go out once the engine has been started.

I think that a constant flash when you do the jumper wire means there are no fault codes stored.

If the engine is not cranking I would 1st find out why this is, try slightly moving the gear selector lever in park and neutral when turning the key to start as the inhibitor switch may be faulty/out of adjustment or the starter motor/wiring may be defective.

Here is a link to the diagnostic codes should you need them

http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

Cheers,

Steve

Hi,

You say the engine is not cranking and the Engine management light is on?

The light is always on when the ignition is on but should go out once the engine has been started.

I think that a constant flash when you do the jumper wire means there are no fault codes stored.

If the engine is not cranking I would 1st find out why this is, try slightly moving the gear selector lever in park and neutral when turning the key to start as the inhibitor switch may be faulty/out of adjustment or the starter motor/wiring may be defective.

Here is a link to the diagnostic codes should you need them

http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

Cheers,

Steve

[

/quote]

The engine is turning over, it's just not running, when i give it gas it goes but as soon as I get off the gas it dies.

Ok I see what you mean.

If no codes are coming up that seems to eliminate an electrical problem so I would head towards fueling problems check fuel pressure/fuel pump,has the fuel filter been replaced? or possibly a vacuum leak on the inlet manifold.

I seem to remember some other threads relating to your problem and I will try and find them.

Steve

Ok I see what you mean.

If no codes are coming up that seems to eliminate an electrical problem so I would head towards fueling problems check fuel pressure/fuel pump,has the fuel filter been replaced? or possibly a vacuum leak on the inlet manifold.

I seem to remember some other threads relating to your problem and I will try and find them.

Steve

Thanks, no the fuel filter has not been changed. I will change it this weekend.

Ok because if it's the original it may be clogged and restricting fuel flow ( no guarantees it will sort the problem I am only an amateur LS400 owner)

Let me know how you get on.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

well, finally had some time to work on it. Found some vacum lines split, and I finally was able to pull the code, the dreaded code 41. I ordered my new TPS from newlexusparts, pretty reasonable only 75 and few bucks shipping, will be here the 28th. I keep you all informed about the problem..Again thanks for the help