Overheating/radiator Issue, Water Pump Writeup?

i just joined this forum so i could get some help fixing my dad's 92 SC400...i tried searching for the answers, but i couldnt find what i was looking for...

my dad was driving the car yday when it started to overheat...he pulled over...when i came there, i saw that there was a crack along the top of the radiator...i was trying to understand what would cause it to do that? the timing belt was changed at 110k miles (car now had 134K miles), but the water pump was NOT changed then...and i know this is about the mileage where they fail

i've taken the radiator out to go get it repaired if possible...and i will replace the thermostat as well...but i'm pretty sure the water pump is the cause of the overheating, because even after the car cooled down and i tried putting on the heater, it was blowing cold air...

i'm pretty mechanically inclined...i drive a 300ZX TT and have changed the water pump and done my own timing belt service on that car...in fact, i have done everything short of an engine pull...i know i can change out the water pump myself, but is there a writeup that shows step by step how to do it? if i had a "how to replace water pump" guide, it would easy for me...i tried searching, but couldnt find one for the SC...can someone provide me a link to it?

thanks for your help

The water pump would not cause it to overheat unless it is leaking. The radiator was leaking I am assuming and the lost of pressure could cause the coolant to overheat. Replace the radiator or repair and change the thermostat and see what is happening then. Most waterpump failures are worn seals and leaking. They generally dont stop turning....unless the bearing froze up....

try look up a timing belt change write up somewhere. the water pump comes off after the t-belt. but try change the thermostat before you go through with all that because if your heater isnt getting hot water then that means that your thermostat isnt allowing hot water to circulate to the heater.