Ac Problem In Gs300

Hi,

I own 2000 year GS300. There are 100000 miles on it. A/C stopped working on that car. I took it to to Lexus service centre. Initially they said there is a small leak at the pipe joining bumber and the dash board. They made me replace the pipe and fix that leak. But still A/C is not working. Then they said there are leaks near the Compressor, Expansion Valve and Evaporator (behind the dash board). The dealers say that the leaks are part of normal wear and tear. They said it costs me around $4500 to fix this.

How can a premium car like GS300 could have so many leaks on the A/C system at just 100000 milage. I can't believe it is normal wear and tear. Even on oridinary cars, AC won't have so may leaks as part of normal wear and tear at this milage. I don't know whether it is worth spending $5000 on this.

Does anybody got this problem before ? Please advise me on this. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Madhu

I recommend a new shop. It is not normal for things to happen like this; especially in Lexus land. Also, it is rare to find multiple leaks in multiple places in any A/C system.

It sounds like person working on your vehicle may be fishing for the answer that he does not have. At the very least, complain to the service manager if you have not already done so.

• 11 months later...
Hi,

I own 2000 year GS300. There are 100000 miles on it. A/C stopped working on that car. I took it to to Lexus service centre. Initially they said there is a small leak at the pipe joining bumber and the dash board. They made me replace the pipe and fix that leak. But still A/C is not working. Then they said there are leaks near the Compressor, Expansion Valve and Evaporator (behind the dash board). The dealers say that the leaks are part of normal wear and tear. They said it costs me around $4500 to fix this.

How can a premium car like GS300 could have so many leaks on the A/C system at just 100000 milage. I can't believe it is normal wear and tear. Even on oridinary cars, AC won't have so may leaks as part of normal wear and tear at this milage. I don't know whether it is worth spending $5000 on this.

Does anybody got this problem before ? Please advise me on this. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Madhu

I have a 99GS300, the A/C was working just fine but I had pinhole leak in the evaporator case/box that was leaking water onto the drivers side floor mat. Lexus will NOT replace the evap box alone, instead they want you to buy the whole entire assembly @ $1600 plus another $1000 for labor (and tax). Lexus Tech told me over the phone "epoxy is your best friend", I took his advice and had a mechanic friend of mine take apart the dash, remove evap box/case, reseal and re-assemble. Picking the vehicle up today and road testing all day tomorrow. I hope you find this information helpful and I hope you can fix your problem at a fraction of the Lexus cost.

Lexus Tech told me over the phone "epoxy is your best friend", I took his advice and had a mechanic friend of mine take apart the dash, remove evap box/case, reseal and re-assemble. Picking the vehicle up today and road testing all day tomorrow. I hope you find this information helpful and I hope you can fix your problem at a fraction of the Lexus cost.

first off as i told you before in YOUR post its not your best friend and i shrug to think of the barnyard fix your doing! ALSO no lexus tech would tell you that! they want you to bring it in so you have to replace it!

I recommend a new shop. It is not normal for things to happen like this; especially in Lexus land. Also, it is rare to find multiple leaks in multiple places in any A/C system.

i also recommend a new shop but SINCE i work in the HVAC-R business (my career is a HVAC-R supply house manager) i will tell you its not uncommon to find multiple leaks in more than one place on one system! here try this.........i put some in my old es300 lexus awhile ago. i was adding about a pound every summer and it got old so like 4 years ago we started carrying this and i tried it! i sold car to my dad last year and he STILL has no problems with the freon. http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/clp946kit.html

oj thats a great price we sell it to a cash customer (prices change if u dont have accounts with supply houses) for 50.00 plus tax

brian

Lexus Tech told me over the phone "epoxy is your best friend", I took his advice and had a mechanic friend of mine take apart the dash, remove evap box/case, reseal and re-assemble. Picking the vehicle up today and road testing all day tomorrow. I hope you find this information helpful and I hope you can fix your problem at a fraction of the Lexus cost.

first off as i told you before in YOUR post its not your best friend and i shrug to think of the barnyard fix your doing! ALSO no lexus tech would tell you that! they want you to bring it in so you have to replace it!

i also recommend a new shop but SINCE i work in the HVAC-R business (my career is a HVAC-R supply house manager) i will tell you its not uncommon to find multiple leaks in more than one place on one system! here try this.........i put some in my old es300 lexus awhile ago. i was adding about a pound every summer and it got old so like 4 years ago we started carrying this and i tried it! i sold car to my dad last year and he STILL has no problems with the freon. http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/clp946kit.html

oj thats a great price we sell it to a cash customer (prices change if u dont have accounts with supply houses) for 50.00 plus tax

brian

Of course they want you to replace it !!! that's how they make 60+% of their money (the lion share), they make the rest on the actual sale of the car (nice having a wife that's a Senior VP at a very reputable investment firm in Manhattan that is well connected). Yes, 2 Techs at 2 seperate dealerships (Bay Ridge and Manhattan) had told me this and I also have a MASTER mechanic (25 years) who lives next door and his advice to me was the same. If it leaks again, screw it !!! time for another car (I got 10 years out of it) and let someone else contemplate a 30% repair (maybe there are people who no very little about money and getting a return on their investment). I'm excellent with money and I'm not about to *BLEEP* money away on something that's 10 years old, I'd rather spend my money on a new car that's under factory warranty and have NO MORE headaches ;) - Like my father always said "to each his own".