Getting Another Master Key For A 93 Sc

ED.

Hey guys,

My aunt just bought a relatives 1993 SC300 as a repalcement for her Infiniti. the car belonged to her mom who didnt drive it that much and mostly used it as a spare car for anyone who needed it. Great car Ive posted here a few times before about it.

Anyway, the original key was lost back around Christmas and that was a huge fiasco because of all the crap involed with different parties and so on but long story is my cousins baby was holding it and lost it. How they havent found it is beyond me.

I told her to tell her mom and her niece to find that key but odds are they wont. So now comes my question... if I went on ebay what do I need to do? I know from my BMW boards its a PITA to get a new key made because the car wont accept it and all it will do is unlock the car and thats it. If I got an un-cut key on eBay could I have it cut by the dealer or is it more involved? I thought it was simpler because the car was older but they are sensitive.

She does have the valet and the wallet but its a PITA to have to unlock the car, pop the trunk and then go back there just for storage when it would be nicer to have the one with the remote you know.

Thx for the help!

Don't know what PITA is. I think it's wise to buy it on ebay and have the dealer cut it. There's a possibility that the service department will offer you a deal parts and installation/reprogramming the alarm to work with the master.

There are probably a couple of people on the forum who've reprogrammed the alarm and key. try to search through the forum for Reprogramming Alarm.

PITA means 'pain in the !Removed!.' A guy posted about a replacement key/remote for a BMW E38 and was told it wouldnt work in the ignition but only unlock the doors. Im not sure why espcially if he got it cut by the dealer.

Ill check ebay. Thx for the help.

If a key has a chip in it, and you just get a hardware store copy it will not start the car. You only can use the key to open the doors.

The 1993 key does not have a chip in it, so any hardware store or locksmith that has a blank will cut a copy that works. However, I assume you want a key with the buttom that will also automatically open the doors. Make sure that is what you are getting as they may charge you for one without the opener and the dealer price is way more than a simple hardware/locksmith. The hardware store didn't have a blank for me, the locksmith did and charged me $12.

So if I got this key eBay auction and assuming the FCC number is the same it would work but what about the key part itself? Could I buy a blank and get it cut and then swap it with the ebay blade that wont work? Ive seen that done a lot on my BMW boards when guys get a new key and remote.

TIA!