Top Mount Brake Bulb Replacement

sgretchko

The top mount brake light bub on my '97 LS-400 has burned out. I tried to access it from the trunk but had no success. Their does not seem to be any way to remove the housing from the top, inside the passenger compartment.

I am wondering if the housing just snaps off? I do not want to do damage. In other words, help. Has anyone else replaced these bulbs before?

The top mount brake light bub on my '97 LS-400 has burned out. I tried to access it from the trunk but had no success. Their does not seem to be any way to remove the housing from the top, inside the passenger compartment.

I am wondering if the housing just snaps off? I do not want to do damage. In other words, help. Has anyone else replaced these bulbs before?

It pulls straight out, Just when you think it's going to break it will release.

It pulls straight out, Just when you think it's going to break it will release.

Bad advice. There are little hooks on the underside of it and if you move the cover a little or push on it to release them you should be able to lift it up with little resistance and access the bulb.

On my 92 LS the front edge of the cover over the subwoofer is pried up carefully - there are two push pins securing it. Once they release, the cover is slid forward. On it underside are the two bayonet bulb holders. I don't know it the later cars are similar, but more than likely.

I have the factory manuals for my car, and that's how they describe it, and I have tried it and it works.

I posted photos a while back on replacing the bulbs in the high mounted stop light on my 2000 LS400 but I do not know if the one in the 98-00 LS is the same as the 1997: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=25937&hl=

But for sure, the replacement procedure is very different between the 90-94 LS and the 98-00 LS.