Just Purchased '04 Ls 430--how To Keep It Looking Amazing

MO-Lexus

I recently purchased my dream car, a Lexus. I would have prefered a 2007 460 but could afford a 2004 430 ($37,000) with 25,000 miles.

This is my first luxury car and need to know what to do to keep it looking and responding perfectly. I live in the middle of the midwest so get the wide range of weather: from -10 degrees to 110 degrees, rain, snow, ice, strong winds, intense sun, and even hail.

The major questions that I have are:

1. Is there a wax/protection that I should use to help maintain the color of paint verse plastic so in a couple years it does not look "worn out"?

2. My wife likes to eat and drink in cars, with a '95 Buick who really cares. I have spoken with her about not treating the Lexus like the dining room but can imagine that over time sodas and snacks will once again make it inside the car. Did any of you do anything to protect the leather seats be it some sort of ScotchGard?

3. The tires on the car are getting worn and need to replaced in the next 10K miles. Do you have a specific brand that you would advise?

4. I grew-up a farm boy so enjoy doing routine maintance on my vehicles, it is not a money issue but an enjoyment factor. With the old Jeep it is easy to replace belts, hoses, plugs, rotate tires, and change oil/filter. With the tight tolerances of a Lexus can I do my own routine maintance (oil changes), can I take to any local lube shop, or should I take to local Lexus dealership for something as easy as oil and filter change?

5. The car already has 25K miles so have another 15K left on warranty. I was considering purchasing the extended warranty for the $1,500 to $2,000. Since I did not buy from a dealer do I need to pay the $500 for the 161 point inspection before they will sell me an extended warranty?

I am not one who likes to replace cars, I have 250K miles on a 1990 Jeep so plan on keeping this Lexus until 200,000 to 300,000 miles. Thus would appreciate any advise you seasoned owners could give. I am not trying to preserve for the next guy, I am trying to preserve for myself.

I recently purchased my dream car, a Lexus. I would have prefered a 2007 460 but could afford a 2004 430 ($37,000) with 25,000 miles.

This is my first luxury car and need to know what to do to keep it looking and responding perfectly. I live in the middle of the midwest so get the wide range of weather: from -10 degrees to 110 degrees, rain, snow, ice, strong winds, intense sun, and even hail.

The major questions that I have are:

1. Is there a wax/protection that I should use to help maintain the color of paint verse plastic so in a couple years it does not look "worn out"?

2. My wife likes to eat and drink in cars, with a '95 Buick who really cares. I have spoken with her about not treating the Lexus like the dining room but can imagine that over time sodas and snacks will once again make it inside the car. Did any of you do anything to protect the leather seats be it some sort of ScotchGard?

3. The tires on the car are getting worn and need to replaced in the next 10K miles. Do you have a specific brand that you would advise?

4. I grew-up a farm boy so enjoy doing routine maintance on my vehicles, it is not a money issue but an enjoyment factor. With the old Jeep it is easy to replace belts, hoses, plugs, rotate tires, and change oil/filter. With the tight tolerances of a Lexus can I do my own routine maintance (oil changes), can I take to any local lube shop, or should I take to local Lexus dealership for something as easy as oil and filter change?

5. The car already has 25K miles so have another 15K left on warranty. I was considering purchasing the extended warranty for the $1,500 to $2,000. Since I did not buy from a dealer do I need to pay the $500 for the 161 point inspection before they will sell me an extended warranty?

I am not one who likes to replace cars, I have 250K miles on a 1990 Jeep so plan on keeping this Lexus until 200,000 to 300,000 miles. Thus would appreciate any advise you seasoned owners could give. I am not trying to preserve for the next guy, I am trying to preserve for myself.

1. I'd suggest you look in the detailing section of this forum for recommendations. I simply use a wax that is top rated by Consumer Union and wax only 2 - 3 times each year. In my opinion, "less is more" - waxing too often can lead to swirl marks in the paint.

2. I can't help you much there. A car is not a dining room. I've been driving Lexus LS cars for over 17 years and there has never been food eaten in my cars. There are a variety of leather treatments that wil keep your seats looking good. To keep the interior in good shape, it helps a lot to have the side and back windows (if you do not have an electric retractable rear window shade) tinted to the legal maximum and to always use a windshield sun shield when parking outside -- I use a sun shield even in the winter.

3. We have quite a bit of snow here in the KC metro area so I would suggest that you buy an extra set of wheels and dedicated snow tires (with the mountain/snowflake logo) for use in the winter. You can get by with all season tires here in the winter but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Several friends use Bridgestone Turanza all season tires on their LS cars. Since I have snow tires on extra wheels, I use directional summer-only tires on my LS - I like the extra quiet and better handling.

4. I highly recommend Ben Bennett's Exact Performance repair shop - http://www.exactauto.com/default.htm . He has been servicing our Lexus and Toyota cars and the cars of our friends and neighbors for about 10 years. Tell him Jim H. (with the white 2000 LS400) recommended him.

5. I generally have a policy of not commenting on service warranties (for a good reason) but I have never had a Toyota product where an extended service warranty would have provided a benefilt.

I was told last week by its current owner that my first LS400 (a 1990) is still going strong at over 240K miles and its owner told me he wants to keep it forever. The key to making an LS last is to do all the required maintenence and get professional help when you need it. It doesn't pay to "over maintain" an LS. The normal maintenance schedule is just fine.

Good luck with your new toy!

Luckily the LS probably ages better than any other car I've ever seen. Every Lexus ages well, but especially the LS. If you maintain it like Jim said, wash it regularly and detail it regularly it will look brand new many years from now.

In fact, I would love to upgrade to a new Lexus because of all the new features, by my car gives me absolutely no reason to do that since it still looks, rides, and drives just as well or better than the new ones, and its only an ES...