Is250 With Extended Warranty

Hello everyone, I just bought an is250 this weekend. Smokey granite with black interior, Nav, 18" rims. Its a beauty and so many bells and whistles!

They offered a 7yrs/100,000 extended warranty, and I bargained it for $1300... the conditions were, it could be transferred if i ever sell the car and it could be refunded at anytime, pro-rated. If it were an american or european car the choice would be obvious. I was 50/50 on whether to get it or not so i went with it and hoped to error on the safe side. Do you think it was a good choice? Should i keep it?

Hello everyone, I just bought an is250 this weekend. Smokey granite with black interior, Nav, 18" rims. Its a beauty and so many bells and whistles!

They offered a 7yrs/100,000 extended warranty, and I bargained it for $1300... the conditions were, it could be transferred if i ever sell the car and it could be refunded at anytime, pro-rated. If it were an american or european car the choice would be obvious. I was 50/50 on whether to get it or not so i went with it and hoped to error on the safe side. Do you think it was a good choice? Should i keep it?

Take $1300 and put it in a CD or other low risk investment. If you have repair (after 4 years of the initial warranty), you have money available to pay for it. If you don't, you keep the $$.

I, for one welcome that move. I have purchased an extended warranty with my 7-series BMW and it paid for itself within the first 6 months of ownership. Granted Toyota makes the most reliable cars in the world, there is still that off-chance that something might go wrong - however little it is in a Toyota product. You just got yourself some peace of mind. And $1300 is not that much to pay for it, in my opinion.

I will definately consider buying extended warranty when it comes to purchasing an IS.

I, for one welcome that move. I have purchased an extended warranty with my 7-series BMW and it paid for itself within the first 6 months of ownership. Granted Toyota makes the most reliable cars in the world, there is still that off-chance that something might go wrong - however little it is in a Toyota product. You just got yourself some peace of mind. And $1300 is not that much to pay for it, in my opinion.

I will definately consider buying extended warranty when it comes to purchasing an IS.

Buy the extened warranty. $1300 is a good deal.

My tsx had one, and I used it for the Nav, AC and 3 sets of rotors. I got my money's worth for sure.

Today repair are so expensive, and in CA,they are charging $80/hour for labor. A simple repair in 100K miles can easily cost $500-$1000.

Plus the feature of the Lexus make it more difficult to take it to any cheaper mechanic.

My tranny died on my 626 at 70 000 miles, if I had an extended warranty, it would have saved me $3500.

I normally wouldnt buy an extended warranty on a lexus or toyota, but after seeing all the extras this car came with i couldnt help but look at it as more things that can break. And its true, one repair would pretty much pay for the warranty. Thanx for all your inputs, i think i'll keep it. btw, Tex2670, i didnt give them $1300 on the spot, i'm paying an extra 22 bux a month in payments.

I normally wouldnt buy an extended warranty on a lexus or toyota, but after seeing all the extras this car came with i couldnt help but look at it as more things that can break. And its true, one repair would pretty much pay for the warranty. Thanx for all your inputs, i think i'll keep it. btw, Tex2670, i didnt give them $1300 on the spot, i'm paying an extra 22 bux a month in payments.

so you are paying even more for it because of interest. not good.

Good point. You don't need the extended warranty for another 4 years--save up the $22 a month for yourself.

AKK- Where in Ca. do you get Lexus service for $80 an hr? In San Diego it's $125 an hr.

Toyota is $95 an hr.

Ahh.. i was quoting a friend... I dont own a lexus. So your probably right. It's worse.

So, instead of $1300 on the spot, he pays $22x60 (presumably) = $1320

WOW!!! Somebody stop that guy - he is going to lose $20 over the next 5 years!

:D

sorry, i forget some people arent math savy... as BostonKiller has sarcastically point out. The 1320 was divided over 60 payments, and my first quote i just rounded it to 1300 bux.