Uh Oh.. Engine Break-in

I read in the manual that engine break-in period on my '07 IS350 is about 615 miles. Now i only have about 400 miles on my car so far but last night I got drawn in to a little drag race off the stop light by this guy in an SRT Charger. Needless to say, I blew him away but I also revved the hell out of my engine for about 20 secs. How badly did I screw up? Is this going to affect my engine somewhere down the line? I feel horrible about it and I'd take it back in a hearbeat if I could..

Short answer? You're fine.

Although it is highly recommended not to redline an engine during the run-in period, you're engine had more than a few hundred miles on it before you did this. The tolerances for engines are pretty tight, and the run-in period simply gives the engine and tranny time to seat properly.

If you're really concerned, you could flush all the fluids in your car (transmission/oil/differential) in the event any metal shavings came off the moving parts. But my recommendation would be to not do anything.

Now, I won't say anything about the street racing part...

Dump the oil, put in Mobil 1 and rev away.

You beat a Charger SRT, surely you jest!

I was pretty surprised myself. I had a few things going for me though:

1. Traffic. Let's just say there was some weaving in and out of traffic.

2. Weight and handling. The SRT is a monster.. and i'm guessing it handles like a giant sofa. Either way, we were neck and neck for the first little leg (no idea exactly how much distance because my heart was pounding so hard).

3. The element of surprise. He had NO idea what he was up against. As far as he knew, it was "some sedan".

PS - I just looked it up and it looks like the SRT gets from 0-60 in anywhere between 5.0-5.5 secs in the hands of a skilled driver. So perhaps I shouldn't really be that surprised after all. :unsure:

Dodge Charger SRT-8

425 horsepower

4,200 pounds <--- 4,200 pounds! :lol:

0-60 in 5.4 seconds

60-0 in 120 feet

The IS350 has times in the low 5 second range.

It's most likely slightly quicker in a straight line going from 0-60 and definitely has the advantage on a curvy track.

Dodge Charger SRT-8

425 horsepower

0-60 in 5.4 seconds

60-0 in 120 feet

It's most likely slightly quicker in a straight line going from 0-60 and definitely has the advantage on a curvy track.

I thought I read in Car & Driver that Charger SRT-8 did 0-60 in around 4.8s...

Dodge Charger SRT-8

425 horsepower

0-60 in 5.4 seconds

60-0 in 120 feet

I thought I read in Car & Driver that Charger SRT-8 did 0-60 in around 4.8s...

I'm not sure what the exact time for the SRT in C&D was, but the key here is that a SKILLED driver did it in that much time, probably over several attempts, and most likely drop clutch launching at high revs (or power braking if it's an auto) or something like that.

FYI Road and Track got the IS350 from 0-60 on stock tires in 4.9 secs, albeit with some power braking off the line (Feb 2007 issue). I sincerely doubt that the average joe can get an SRT from 0-60 in under 5.3 from a stop light out of the blue.

I sincerely doubt that the average joe can get an SRT from 0-60 in under 5.3 from a stop light out of the blue.

I wish more people understood this very statement.

One of my daughters friends (16 years old) asked me what kind of modifications would I do to her Acura RSX to improve the performance. I said "before you modify the car, modify the driver"......

One of my daughters friends (16 years old) asked me what kind of modifications would I do to her Acura RSX to improve the performance. I said "before you modify the car, modify the driver"......

This is why I never even look at 0-60 specs when looking at a car. Of course, it helps that I'm a girl. It seems like guys tend to obsess more over that.

This is why I never even look at 0-60 specs when looking at a car. Of course, it helps that I'm a girl. It seems like guys tend to obsess more over that.

Heh even though I was the one that made the statement, I have to admit I'm one of those people that obsesses over 0-60 times a lot. Of course, it doesn't help that I'm not a girl ;)