Yellowing Of Pearl White Paint Over The Years

jkalu47

I have a 91' Pearl White Lexus LS400. I just got both of my bumpers painted because the paint was cracking and chipping. The problem is that the white of the newly painted bumpers don't match the white on the rest of the car because the color tends to yellow a little bit with age.

Is there anything I can do to get a better match besides painting the rest of the car (b/c that would cost about $1,200 more. Is there any wax with a yellow tint that I can buy for the bumpers? Is there anything I can do to make the rest of the car whiter? I'm open to any suggestions.

• 1 month later...
I have a 91' Pearl White Lexus LS400. I just got both of my bumpers painted because the paint was cracking and chipping. The problem is that the white of the newly painted bumpers don't match the white on the rest of the car because the color tends to yellow a little bit with age.

Is there anything I can do to get a better match besides painting the rest of the car (b/c that would cost about $1,200 more. Is there any wax with a yellow tint that I can buy for the bumpers? Is there anything I can do to make the rest of the car whiter? I'm open to any suggestions.

I went to Auto Zone and picked up their pain (Arctic White) and sprayed my bumper. Then I used the Clear Cote in the same section and spayed it on first tacky, then a good coat. It yellows like polyurethane does and hues the white down to a slight slight yellow hue. If you really study the car, you could see the difference, but glancing at it for a few moments, it blends right in.

Whoa, there! I have driven pearl white Lexus LS cars for over 17 years and I can assure you that the paint on the metal body of your car did not "yellow a little bit with age". Very funny.

What happened is that the body shop did not paint your bumpers using the correct paint that matched the paint on the body work. Or the bodyshop did something else that let to a poor color match.

My first pearl white 1990 did not change color over the entire 13 1/2 years I owned it before selling it in 2003 -- and, unfortunately, I had to have a substantial amount of bodywork and paint matching done over those years due to being rear ended a few times. Here is a link to a photo of it just before I sold it: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=si&img=803

Have the body shop repaint the bumpers using the correct OEM Lexus paint or painting process.

Whoa, there! I have driven pearl white Lexus LS cars for over 17 years and I can assure you that the paint on the metal body of your car did not "yellow a little bit with age". Very funny.

What happened is that the body shop did not paint your bumpers using the correct paint that matched the paint on the body work. Or the bodyshop did something else that let to a poor color match.

My first pearl white 1990 did not change color over the entire 13 1/2 years I owned it before selling it in 2003 -- and, unfortunately, I had to have a substantial amount of bodywork and paint matching done over those years due to being rear ended a few times. Here is a link to a photo of it just before I sold it: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=si&img=803

Have the body shop repaint the bumpers using the correct OEM Lexus paint or painting process.

OEM lexus paint?!?!?

thats gonna wind up costing him a lot more...

i say deal with it..unless u got the $$$$$ if you do then go to those really hot places that do paint jobs that look like it hasnt even been painted!!

Jim is absolutely correct. The issue lies in the paint matching in the first place. Yes, colors fade over time but a good shop should be able to tint the color to adapt for any changes (with modern clearcoat paints these changes are very slight). I would take it back and make them re-do it.

As for OEM paint, there's really no such thing. Lexus doesn't make paint, any paint from a quality manufacturer PROPERLY BLENDED and TINTED for your car will be fine.

White, and especially pearl white, are THE hardest colors to match, make the shop do it right.