A/c Cuts Out When In Drive

newguy

We have a 2004 GX470 and have a weird problem. When the vehicle is Park, the A/C blows cold. When we put it in Drive, it starts blowing less cold. We found out that in Drive, the clutch on the front of the compressor disengages. We tested the relay for the clutch and it works. Any ideas? It's freaking hot outside and the kids want A/C. Thanks in advance

We have a 2004 GX470 and have a weird problem. When the vehicle is Park, the A/C blows cold. When we put it in Drive, it starts blowing less cold. We found out that in Drive, the clutch on the front of the compressor disengages. We tested the relay for the clutch and it works. Any ideas? It's freaking hot outside and the kids want A/C. Thanks in advance

hmm, first time I've ever heard of this problem. If you dont mind me asking, did you buy your GX brand new, or used?? I've never heard of such an issue with the GX a/c. I know the a/c sometimes feel like it should be colder than what it blows out, but not cutting out when shifted into Drive. :huh:

I don't have an answer to your problem but there are some ideas. First: The GX has an auxiliary fan in front of the A/C condenser.

Is your fan operating always, or is it operating sometimes?

I believe that the fan does not operate continuously but only when the refrigerant exceeds a specific temperature.

If the fan is defective or one of its components, then the A/C will disengage to prevent the unit from catastrophic failure.

You may have a defective temperature sensor or a loose connection to the sensor.

Hope that helps.

There is a TSIB for GX's that don't cool well in hot areas, especially at low engine rpm. TSIB AC003-06. You're condition sounds like a low charged system, but this TSIB repair will fix it.

Finally have an answer on this one!! Turns out that there is a junction block under the dash on the RH side (J/B No. 3) that has a series of connectors (3A-3E); two of the wires in 3D and 3E (pin 3 in both of them, coincidentally!!) were loose. Found this on accident when talking to the dealer. Additionally, my wife noticed that the R and D indicators on the shifter and in the instrument cluster weren't lighting. Maybe related, maybe not. Talked to the guy at the dealership and after a few false starts, started fault tracing. TA DA! Problem fixed. Now we have A/C in drive and the lights on the shifter and the instrument panel are on again.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed someone said "the a/c sometimes feel like it should be colder than what it blows out" and that there is a TISB for this problem...does anyone have a copy of the TISB they can email me? I got the one for the "clunk" emailed to me by a gracious personon this board and my parts are now on order at the dealership, my car fdefinitely CLUNKS all the time!!

Is any of this A/C work on the TISB included after the 50k miles warranty has expired, I have 60k miles on my '03 GX. I do notice that the air kind of doesn't cool as it should at all times, is this normal on this car? I just got it used about a month ago. I had an '01 RX300 and that A/C was incredibly cold all the time!!!

Thanks so much for any insight you may have!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 03 GX's A/C doesn't seem to cool all the time, it blows cold air and then warm (room temp) air on and off, while idling or driving, no matter how fast or slow. I just had TSIB AC003-06 regarding "the A/C not cooling" done at Lexus and the car seems to be exactly the same, it has 61k miles. The only noticebale difference is that when it blows cold air, the air is a bit colder than it used to be, but then it goes back to blowing room temp air ona nd off.

I was incredibly pleased with Lexus, they covered the TISB (otherwise $2500 or so) and gave me a loaner for 8 days while the parts came in and the job was performed. It is very HOT here in the South, it has been over 100 degrees now for over 11 days straight, when the 100 degree weather started is when I noticed the problem.

Has anyone had this issue? Is this a common and non-fixable issue with these cars? I just bought it about 1.5 months ago and have a terrible clunk and this A/C problem...the clunk kit has been on order for over a month now and is still on backorder, the Lexus dealer said they will pay for that as well though, thank God!!

Lexus has been wonderful but the A/C and the clunk are terrible on my car.

Any ideas or suggestions on this A/C issue???

Thanks so much!!