Running With Coil Unplugged?

thunderbirl

I've lost a coil pack on a front cylinder on my 2000 RX300 and verified it by moving the coil pack to another cylinder and seeing the OBD codes move with the coil pack.

I also noted that if I unplugged the coil pack, I got a different code, but the engine was MUCH smoother. It made me wonder if it was easier for the computer to compensate when there was a non-intermittent problem.

Can I unplug the coil and run on five cylinders while the new part arrives? Is the system smart enough to shut off fuel to that injector?

Seems a bit silly, but I've only got one car!

Thanks.

Steve

I've lost a coil pack on a front cylinder on my 2000 RX300 and verified it by moving the coil pack to another cylinder and seeing the OBD codes move with the coil pack.

I also noted that if I unplugged the coil pack, I got a different code, but the engine was MUCH smoother. It made me wonder if it was easier for the computer to compensate when there was a non-intermittent problem.

Can I unplug the coil and run on five cylinders while the new part arrives? Is the system smart enough to shut off fuel to that injector?

Thanks.

Steve

If fuel was to shut off, it may be good for the catalytic converter since no fuel was left unburned. How many miles you got out of the coil before it went bad?

Thats a grreat idea, I never thought there'd be a difference in running with it unplugged. I don know the answer to your question (probably moot by now anyway) but I'm glad you posetd with that idea. I've had 2 coils go bad on me (75k , 90k) so now I pack a spare in the car at all times but I'd like to know if you did run on five cyl. with the coil disconnected and how it worked , thanks

[

If fuel was to shut off, it may be good for the catalytic converter since no fuel was left unburned. How many miles you got out of the coil before it went bad?

It seemed to run better with the coil unplugged, but based on mileage I couldn't tell if the injector shut down as I only drove briefly. The car didn't seem to suffer as severe a hesitation with the coil unplugged, do I'm thinking that it did shut down the injector. It's all a moot point now since the coil has been replaced. It failed at 120K.

Steve

[

It seemed to run better with the coil unplugged, but based on mileage I couldn't tell if the injector shut down as I only drove briefly. The car didn't seem to suffer as severe a hesitation with the coil unplugged, do I'm thinking that it did shut down the injector. It's all a moot point now since the coil has been replaced. It failed at 120K.

Steve

Maybe the coil pack was shorting causing a load on the ecu. Unplugging it removed the shorted load....