No Single Occupancy Hov Sticker For The Rx400h?

So I had presumed that our RX400H would qualify for a single occupancy HOV lane sticker, but apparently not as it doesn't meet the 45mpg requirement.

That would explain why I'm yet to see an RX400h with a sticker I guess :-)

No big deal as it wouldn't impact us too much anyway - plus I think the stickers look ugly !

Correct, the RX400h is not strictly an "economy" vehicle, so it does not qualify. And yes, the stickers are kinda ugly! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
As far as Arizona goes, the RX400h does not qualify for the HOV lanes. :angry:

Tom

So, does anyone know about Virginia and if the 2007 RX400h qualifies for the Clean Fuel License Plate? And, what about the June 30, 2008 deadline? Does that mean that you can't use the HOV lanes with a Hybrid anymore, or is that the last date of purchasing a Hybrid to use in HOV?

As far as Arizona goes, the RX400h does not qualify for the HOV lanes. :angry:

Tom

So, does anyone know about Virginia and if the 2007 RX400h qualifies for the Clean Fuel License Plate? And, what about the June 30, 2008 deadline? Does that mean that you can't use the HOV lanes with a Hybrid anymore, or is that the last date of purchasing a Hybrid to use in HOV?

If States want to set lower mpg limits, thay can, in theory. However, the Fed's conditional spending (IE; they tie strings to highway funding) power is used to force the states to require HOV stickers to only go to cars that get 45mpg or better. Considering the Fed's mach funds dollar to dollar, and maintenance of roads (much less new road construction) can run into the 100's of millions ... don't hold your breath. :P

I don't know how much of Arizona's reasoning stems from Federal guidelines but here is the official announcement from February:

" Several types of fuel-efficient “hybrid” cars will now be allowed to use the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes on Arizona’s highways. Typically, use of those lanes is restricted to vehicles carrying multiple passengers, but under the new Energy Efficient Pilot Program, qualified hybrids – even with a lone driver – will also be able to occupy the HOV lanes. The pilot is part of the Governor’s Clean Air Initiative and begins immediately.

Vehicles that are able to achieve a 45 percent increase in combined city/highway fuel efficiency are eligible to participate in the program. Currently, three types of vehicles qualify: the Honda Insight, the Honda Civic Hybrid and the Toyota Prius. Owners of those cars will need to apply for the program through the Motor Vehicle Division of ADOT (Arizona Department of Transportation). Once admitted to the pilot, owners will receive a special license plate, as well as a special sticker indicating the car is a part of the pilot. The program is limited to 10,000 vehicles on a first-come, first served basis. There are currently approximately 9,000 of these types of cars registered in Arizona.

The pilot program will remain in place while the EPA continues its long-term rule-making process for the use of HOV lanes."

Tom