Gs Ain't No Ark! Flash Flood Swamps My Gs450h!

On Tuesday, parts of Chicago (especially Lakeview) were hit with record-breaking rainfall (~4" in 40 minutes). I was on Lake Shore Drive which had standing water up to 6-8" inches and stalled cars all along it. After maneuvering off my exit, I was at a stop sign (while sitting in about 8" of water) when an SUV plowed by me creating an enormous water wake that briefly submerged the hood of my car. The engine seized up, the "check hybrid system" light came on and the car refused to start. Finally managed to get it towed to the dealership.

Just got a call from Lexus. The air filter was filled with water, meaning there is water in the engine where it shouldn't be, meaning the engine must be disassembled to determine what the damage may or may not be, since the pistons may have gotten damaged/bent.

I guess it's possible the engine will have to be replaced/rebuilt. They can't look in detail at the car until Allstate comes and takes a look. The powertrain in this car is so complex, I'm afraid after that sort of repair, it will never again be the same. Curious if anyone here has any comments on what this sort of damage will do to an engine...and if a new engine means "totaling" a car for insurance purposes.

Guess I'll be in the Camry rental for a while. Not a bad car at all, but I'm spoiled with all of Lexus' power and gadgetry. At least it has an AUX jack for my iPod...

Is it too early for a Martini?

PS Here's a couple crappy phone pics from LSD on Tuesday. (I bet the iPhone takes better photographs!)

post-27058-1183056224_thumb.jpg

post-27058-1183056336_thumb.jpg

This worked for me.

Get a trade-in price from the dealer that did the inspection/estimate for repair and note - don't buy just yet. Get the insurance check for the claim in your name. Take the car to a Lexus dealer other than the one that did the estimate and see what they will give you towards a new GS. They could give you a better trade-in value towards a new GS. Then during the payment time drop the insurance check on them.

The reason they you may get a better trade-in value from the second dealer is they won't have seen the estimate though you still tell them there was some flood damage. If the offer is good take it and don't worry. Then have a celebratory Martini.