Buying An Extended Warranty On A Cpo Rx300

vilmosz

We just purchased a CPO RX 300. It has 56,000 miles on it and came with a warranty for three years/100k.

In three years, we will probably drive 30k, which means that in three years the car will theoretically have 83k on it.

I have heard tranny problems surface at around 90k.

The dealer is offering us to extend the mfr CPO warranty to four years for $1250 and five years for $1650.

My question:

1. Is this negotiable? I know I should have negotiated prior to driving off the lot -- but I still hold one card which is we have not yet filled out our survey.

2. Is there a better place/rate from which to but an extended warranty than from Lexus?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Yes those warranties are negoitable, good luck.

Thanks. I did negotiate -- the Finance guy told me that he could absolutely not reduce the price on the warranty because Lexus regulates that -- however, he DID go back and lower the cost on the vehicle! Made out quite well and received a free 10k service to boot.

• 3 weeks later...

For future reference, I know of no such "policy". Even if they won't negotiate the price, I was able to get more years/miles for the SAME price, which is the same thing as getting a discount.

As you also found, there are numerous ways for the imaginitave to skin this cat.

I just bought a 2003 Lexus RX300 with 55,000 miles from a broker two weeks ago. It didn't come with an extended warranty, but he said it just had a major service. I was thinking of buying an extended warranty to 100,000. Can you recommend anyone? I also live in Los Angeles.

Thanks, Angie

angie7824@aol.com