1996 Es300

I have a 1996 ES300 and I just had the valve seals replaced because it would smoke when it started-especially when it was parked on a hill. The problem is it is still smoking although not as much. My mechanic said that he didn't know what else could be causing this. Any ideas?

I have a 1996 ES300 and I just had the valve seals replaced because it would smoke when it started-especially when it was parked on a hill. The problem is it is still smoking although not as much. My mechanic said that he didn't know what else could be causing this. Any ideas?

get a new mechanic

I would wonder if you have some piston rings that aren't doing their job, or a clogged PCV valve that has upped the crank case pressure sufficiently to be pushing oil past the rings. Just a guess.

what color is the smoke? how long does the smoke last?

I would wonder if you have some piston rings that aren't doing their job, or a clogged PCV valve that has upped the crank case pressure sufficiently to be pushing oil past the rings. Just a guess.

Keep the mechanic, put him to do as this post suggest. This should solve your problem, I'm assuming you've already done the other misc stuff since you've gone inside already.

get a new mechanic

Yes this is great advice... :rolleyes: <_< I swear, if everyone fired their mechanic every time they made a mistake, there would be alot of unemployed mechanics out there... Its quality posts like this one that turn people away from us for help. if you dont have any valuable advice, please allow those who know what they are doing to help and assist those who dont.

FWIW the valve seals were 95% of the problem, the PCV valve is the other 5%. change it. its causing oil blow by past your rings as suggested earlier. it costs like $4 for the part and a half hour of labor. enjoy!

:cheers:

get a new mechanic

Yes this is great advice... :rolleyes: <_< I swear, if everyone fired their mechanic every time they made a mistake, there would be alot of unemployed mechanics out there... Its quality posts like this one that turn people away from us for help. if you dont have any valuable advice, please allow those who know what they are doing to help and assist those who dont.

FWIW the valve seals were 95% of the problem, the PCV valve is the other 5%. change it. its causing oil blow by past your rings as suggested earlier. it costs like $4 for the part and a half hour of labor. enjoy!

:cheers:

get a new mechanic

Thanks for the post. It looks like your diagnosis was right on. PCV valve was replaced and after 2 days the smoke has cleared hallelujah! :rolleyes: